Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA antler restriction >

PA antler restriction

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA antler restriction

Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA antler restriction

If I give you the last word, do you think you'd stop?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

If you make claims based on stories and rumors and slander somebody based on that you are still guilty of slander even if you believed the rumors to be true.
I didn't say you slandered anyone. I said "IF" you made false claims about someone, not that you did make false claims about someone.
However, BT calling me a liar without being able to back it up ,is in fact slanderous, but who cares, it's the internet.
No mens rea-no crime. Just incorrect
I agree that whatever you were trying to say is incorrect. So you see even you and I can agree on something.

Creating a new identity to get around a ban is a lie
Posing asones wife to get around a ban is a lie
If my statement abovewere false you'd have a case of slander/libel

Come and get me!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:38 AM

I only joined this site a short time ago.I think I made a mistake.The amount of bickering and bullcrap,not to mention thread hijacking is more prevelant than any other site I have been on. Please, don'tget me wrong.There is a lot of intelligent,and informative info posted here,by some seemingly nice and intelligent people. So why don't you kids just exchange phone numbers and leave some space for ......... I don't know........hunting related issues. LIAR,LIAR,PANTS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those who still believe that genetics do not play a significant role in antler development here is an interesting quote from Dr. John Williams.

Although the heritability of a trait is constantly changing due to gene frequency changes caused by natural (death, migration) and artificial (harvest) selection, these estimates give a good indication of the magnitude of the influence of genetics. Heritability may be defined as "An estimation of the degree by which a characteristic is controlled by heredity as compared to the influence of the environment and other factors." It is the percent of the total variability of a characteristic (antler weight) which can be attributed to heredity (genetics). The heritability estimate for antler weight shown in Table 1 suggests that 75 percent of the variability in antler weights (mass) may be attributed to heredity.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another clever slice of information. Please cite the source of this quote.

As you have presented it, it appears to claim that genetics are the dominant componenet and that simply is not true.

This quote can't possibly be taken seriously without any reference to age class. My bet is that age is addressed and noted as a key componenein the rest of what the good doctor said but you failed to provide. The only way that statement can make any scientififc sense is if age is held as a constant.

Without proper context, your "quoted facts" once again fail to support your point.

All the respected deer biologists I've read have likened antler develpmoent to a three legged stool. Genetics, nutrition and age. Just as a three legged stool wont work with only two legs,antler development is a failure when one component is lacking.

BTW just a side note: most wildlife biologists will also note that the doe is just as important in carryling the genetics forward that dictate antler develpoment and that it is virtually impossible to manage doe genetics in the wild for the antler growth of their offspring

Oh yeah, no responseto my prior challenge??? :

Creating a new identity to get around a ban is a lie
Posing asones wife to get around a ban is a lie
If my statement abovewere false you'd have a case of slander/libel

Come and get me!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously the study compared bucks in the same age class. It also eliminated age and nutrition as variables because it compared bucks of the same age that were fed the same diet. here is the link.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ers_inherited/

BTW, since you apparently don't know the definition of a lie, your challenge didn't merit a response.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, all I needed.
[ol][*]
[ol][*]Looking at antler points of yearling bucks provided no correlation to antler development later in life.[*]Spike-antlered yearlings were just as likely to produce large antlers later in life as 6- to 8-point yearlings.[*]The prevalence of spike-antlered yearlings was correlated to birth date. No June-born bucks produced spike antlers, while 38 percent of September-born bucks produced spike antlers.[*]Overall, the captive herd only produced spikes on 20 percent of yearling bucks, while adjacent private-land produced spikes on 60 percent of yearling bucks, the only difference being nutrition.[*]The best two sets of antlers produced over the 15 years (168 and 195 B & C points) were both 3-point bucks as yearlings.[*]You can do little or nothing to improve antler genetics except to leave obviously superior bucks in the herd[/ol]
[/ol]
It just disproves your assertion that you can highgrade a herd, by removing one 1.5 year old buck (8-point) over another 1.5 (sub-legal).
You have proven conclusively, everything Bob and I had been saying
Thanks again...you're the best!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can do little or nothing to improve antler genetics except to leave obviously superior bucks in the herd
We are doing the exact opposite ,so the obvious expected results would be a decrease in antler genetics.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

HELLO!
Do you not read???
Says that no correlation can be made to futureantler development from the first few years...
Or something to that extent.
Go back and find what I'm referring to and report back to me OK?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should have tried to read the rest of the report because if you would have you would have found the following.
Figure 1 and Tables 2 and 3 suggest a strong relationship between the first and fourth year measurements. Although no Boone and Crockett scores are reported from the KWMA, no spike or 3-point produced 10 points at 4.5 years, while 31 of the yearlings with 4 or more points produced 10 or more points at 4.5 years (Table 2). No spike produced a total antler weight over 1000 grams at 4.5 years. Only one of the 3-point deer and one of the 4-point deer produced a total antler weight over 1,000 grams, but 40 of the 49 6-point or greater produced antler weights greater than 1,000 grams (Table 3).

The six points you listed were the findings by Dr. Jacobson that the article by Dr. Williams refuted.

Quick Reply: PA antler restriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.