Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA antler restriction >

PA antler restriction

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA antler restriction

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA antler restriction

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Are you telling us you have a hard time killing a buck in 2B during archery ,so you travel to 2F to get your buck during the concurrent season?

BTW, if you believe that not seeing deer is a successful hunt , you have a unique definition of success.
Any time hunting is a success to me and my gang.
When we kill something, it is then fruitfull.

BTW..our standards are now so high, we only kill 10 points in archery in 2b. We tagged out in '05 in archery 2b...3-8 points and a 10-point..Haha!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Are you telling us you have a hard time killing a buck in 2B during archery ,so you travel to 2F to get your buck during the concurrent season?

That is just a purely jack-assed thing to say, really.
We don't have a hard time doing anything. We hold out and pass up so many bucks over the course of a season that well, I just guess a hunter of your intellect would not understand.
Lets put it this way...if we wanted, we could all have a tag on a legal buck before the leaves drop. We seem to like 'em just a little bit bigger than legal, though. I wished they would up the AR's to 4 a side and wider than the ears for the whole state!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Spike

Where I hunt, before they implemented AR's, one of the guys who lives on the farm where I go, shot the biggest buck rack I have ever seen down there. And the farmer who owned the land had killed a quite a few nice ones also. I go there for the meat, I don't mind shooting the smaller buck, I want it to taste good, and not be tough, or gamey tasting. All in one's preferences I guess.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I live in WV, but I hunt in an AR area in PA. I stopped hunting in PA for a long time because the bucks did not have a chance, now they do. I realize AR's are tough on the meat hunters. But for years you were only allowed ONE deer in PA for the entire year. Regardless of what weapon you used. Now you can get extra permits, and you can shoot does. So I really do not feel sorry for the meat hunter because he can easily score on a DOE!! Themeat hunters have more options now than what they have had for a long time. So I am not buying the "we can not get a deer" theory. I have read where some people say the deer herds are down in their areas. I do not know if that is true or not. I do know that in the area I hunt the deer numbers are up, and the quality buck numbers are WAY WAY UP. Tom.

Well the AR rule also allowed shooting more does than ever before which couldn't possibly help deer numbers. I guess lots of hunters took this as killing as many does as you could without too much concern for future years. That was surely their own fault. You can't kill every doe you see and expect ample numbers in future years. But again the problem DID start with AR's when they started giving out doe permits like candy. The idea was to bring down the doe population so that you might have a more even buck/doe ratio. The facts are that you won't have ANY bucks OR does if there are NO does to produce them.
I do not know what area you hunt in. I hunt in Greene County. They were handing out does permits long before they ever had AR's. And you could always get a doe permit at the Waynesburg Court House. They never ran out. So in our area there weredoe permits for years, so the permits had nothing to do with AR in this area. I can not speak to other areas.

And I also do not know aboutthe spindly bucks. We are seeing, and shooting some great deer. And if you want meat then shoot a doe. Why shoot a young buck?? That just doesnot make any sense to me??

And as far as #'s of deer. Well I do not know about other areas, but we are run over with deer. Tom.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is just a purely jack-assed thing to say, really
That may be your opinion ,but it still isn't a nice thing to say about a fellow hunter,especially when you consider your following remark.

We seem to like 'em just a little bit bigger than legal, though. I wished they would up the AR's to 4 a side and wider than the ears for the whole state!
So, let me get this straight. You pass on the big bucks produced by the 4 pt. restriction in 2B, so you can hunt in 2F which has a 3 pt. restriction,yet you want a 4 pt. restriction statewide. And BTW, 2F is rated as one of the worst WMUs for forest health in the state, yet you go there to harvest bigger bucks than in 2B. IMHO that doesn't make much sense.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

And BTW, 2F is rated as one of the worst WMUs for forest health in the state, yet you go there to harvest bigger bucks than in 2B. IMHO that doesn't make much sense.
Forest health?? Blah...
All we see is logged areas now, and man that's great.
Nothing healthier than a regenerating forest.
Produces nice bucks too!!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That may be your opinion ,but it still isn't a nice thing to say about a fellow hunter,especially when you consider your following remark.
The truth hurts sometimes, Deaddeer.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:57 AM

bb2

I'm still curious as to where you live / hunt. You've been quotingbook stats but you've not once said anything about personal/actuall observation base on time in field.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CCPaHunter

bb2

I'm still curious as to where you live / hunt. You've been quotingbook stats but you've not once said anything about personal/actuall observation base on time in field.
We know who he is. Been here a very long time, in one form or another.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CCPaHunter

bb2

I'm still curious as to where you live / hunt. You've been quoting book stats but you've not once said anything about personal/actuall observation base on time in field.
I hunt in 5C in an areas where the valleys are excellent farmland and the ridges are wooded. All of the land is hunted hard both in archery and rifle and the herd has been reduced to a point where ARs made very little difference in the buck we are seeing. The PGC claims our
forest health is poor , yet an area that was cut 3 years ago has poplar seedlings that are 8ft. high and the pawlonia are 12-15 ft. high. Where there is adequate sunlight it is so thick you can't walk through it. But the oak seedlings are only a ft. high and will have little chance of out growing the poplar ,ash and pawlonia.

Personal observations are an interesting snapshot of conditions in a small area, but they don't have much significance when discussing the success or failure of ARs and the current deer management plan.

Quick Reply: PA antler restriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.