Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA antler restriction >

PA antler restriction

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA antler restriction

Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA antler restriction

So according to you the main reason for implementing ARs was to keep 1.5 buck from running themselves ragged during the rut? If that is true then the PGC is ven more incompetent than I thought they were.
Regardless,he never claimed the size of our 2.5 year old bucks would increase.When you testify for the USP,do yourself a favor and leave that part out.

Why would you say that ,when judges actually trained to read and evaluate what is written , rather than trying to read the mind of whoever wrote what they are reading? More and larger bucks means exactly what it says , no matter how you try to twist it to mean what you want it to mean.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Now take that little fact into consideration and rememvber that part of PA's planto harvest more does before the rut begins to make more sense. Less does available by rut time means a larger percentage gets bred in their first estrous cycle helpingto cause less late births.
That is a mighty fine theory , but the PA deer proved it did not apply to PA. Even though the herd has been reduced by over 30% and we have had ARs since 2002, Dr. Rosenberry stated there has been no significant change in the breeding period.

Also, letting some bucks live through the concurrent gun season , provides breeding bucks for this years doe fawns who will attain the body necessary weight and come into estrous in mid December. Prior to AR's a doe coming into estrous after the buck season was hard pressed to find a buck to breed her.

That isn't even close to being true. There were always enough buck carried over to breed the few numbers of fawns that came into estrus after the buck season. ARs protect the highest percentage of buck in areas like 2G and fawn breeding rates are still some of the worst in the state.
You have twisted my point. the point is that high grading is not the problem you claim because 1.5 year old spikes are no necessarily genetically inferior just as 1.5 year old 8 points are not necessarily demonstrating superior genes. The theory of AR's causing high grading isjunk science with only one member of the wildlife biology community giving it any relevance and his research has been proven to be flawed bythe sound principles as publishedby Dr Kroll.

You also have shown no evidence that "there were always enough bucks carried over to breed the few number of fawns that came into strus after thebuck season" Using 2G for your example is especially ludicrous because doe fawns canonly come into estrous in their first year after attaining a bodyweight of approximately 80 pounds. Age in months of a female fawn is not relevant in this issue, body mass is the relevant factor and 2G is the WMU least likely to have doe fawns reach that weight in their first year.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have twisted my point. the point is that high grading is not the problem you claim because 1.5 year old spikes are no necessarily genetically inferior just as 1.5 year old 8 points are not necessarily demonstrating superior genes
Once again you demonstrate you don't even understand the basic principle behind high grading. high grading does not occur due to a change in the genetics of the herd. High grading occurs because the average 1.5 spike takes longer to develop than a 1.5 ,8 pt. Therefore, the average spike may become a 2.5 , 5 pt. while the 1.5 8 pt. that was harvested as a 1.5 buck ,would have become a 10 pt. Harvesting the best buck in each age class will always result in smaller average rack sizes.
You also have shown no evidence that "there were always enough bucks carried over to breed the few number of fawns that came into strus after the buck season" Using 2G for your example is especially ludicrous because doe fawns can only come into estrous in their first year after attaining a body weight of approximately 80 pounds. Age in months of a female fawn is not relevant in this issue, body mass is the relevant factor and 2G is the WMU least likely to have doe fawns reach that weight in their first year.
For a change you are correct and you have just proven Alt was full of beans. Now would you like to provide the data that shows the fawn breeding rates increased significantly in 2B or any other WMU?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once again you demonstrate you don't even understand the basic principle behind high grading. high grading does not occur due to a change in the genetics of the herd. High grading occurs because the average 1.5 spike takes longer to develop than a 1.5 ,8 pt. Therefore, the average spike may become a 2.5 , 5 pt. while the 1.5 8 pt. that was harvested as a 1.5 buck ,would have become a 10 pt. Harvesting the best buck in each age class will always result in smaller average rack sizes.
Other than the discredited findings of one Maverick biologist, you have no basis for that statement. Anyone who's ever been anywhere near a courtroom knows that there is always at least one "expert" witness available (read that as quack!) to support anytheory! You have the shaky incomplete results from one flawed study versus the rest of the wildlife management science community. I think you are the one who doesn't understand.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Sproul,
I kind of agree with you for once, but where we differ is creating rules around outlaws. I'd like ot see more enforcement & people turning in poachers and those that circumvent the rules. But with an already under funded PGC the increased enforcement isnt likely to happen.
Laws can only go so far, it is up to the mindset of the people to carry things a bit farther. The C&R movement in fishing has had way more success than the thought of passing on a legal but small/young buck in the hunting. With the mindset of the Average PA hunter, it will be a LONG time before that way of thinking is broken.

And as for the other debate with the more & bigger bucks statement....In places where the herd reduction has not been dramatically implemented, that statement holds a ton of truth. Granted those places are few & far between, but I have seen the numbers of big bucks jump.
I AGREE WITH YOU ALSO.

not to get off the AR, i fish many state bass tournaments.

this year in many of the lakes here in northcentral pa.the bass SPAWNED late.

they were on beds come the first week of bass.

i saw MORE bass females caught and KEPT that were still full of eggs.

word went like wildfire,HEY GUYS, BASS ARE ON BEDS,GO GET UM.

boy did they hurt lakes that took all of us years to build up,they did it in 1 week this year.

the fisherman i saw doing this also ALL looked like greedy a holes with their stringers full of egg laden bass.

every other word out of their mouths was f this,F that etc.

these are same people that will shoot any buck and clean any doe/fawn out of area.

sorry i got off topic.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Other than the discredited findings of one Maverick biologist, you have no basis for that statement. Anyone who's ever been anywhere near a courtroom knows that there is always at least one "expert" witness available (read that as quack!) to support any theory! You have the shaky incomplete results from one flawed study versus the rest of the wildlife management science community. I think you are the one who doesn't understand.
Dr. Demarais happens to have 12 years of harvest data to support his position, which is more than any other biologist. His position is also supported by Larry Castle , Dr. Williams and Dr. Kroll, even though Dr. Kroll is so biased he doesn't realize it. In fact the entire staff of the Miss. deer management unit supports Dr. Demarais's position ,which is why they changed to spread restrictions in 2007.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

interesting reading info you all have.

add in myinfo from GROUND LEVEL, we could write book.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Other than the discredited findings of one Maverick biologist, you have no basis for that statement. Anyone who's ever been anywhere near a courtroom knows that there is always at least one "expert" witness available (read that as quack!) to support anytheory! You have the shaky incomplete results from one flawed study versus the rest of the wildlife management science community. I think you are the one who doesn't understand.

Dr. Demarais happens to have 12 years of harvest data to support his position, which is more than any other biologist. His position is also supported by Larry Castle , Dr. Williams and Dr. Kroll, even though Dr. Kroll is so biased he doesn't realize it. In fact the entire staff of the Miss. deer management unit supports Dr. Demarais's position ,which is why they changed to spread restrictions in 2007.
Now you've entered yet another twist. First, all your posts so far only talk about AR. A spread restriction is still AR. A bettermethod by all credible findings but still AR. The reason a spread restriction was scrapped in favor of a point count in PA wasthat it was decided when facing the challenges of roughly a million hunters having to field judge to comply with any AR, a point count was easier to adjust to. There is almost no disagreement anywhere that a spread restriction is abetter way over a point count to help increase the average age structure. Gary Alt made some missteps in selling the plan, but I distinctly remember him saying that he favored a spread restriction but as a matter of practicality was starting with a point count at the meetings I attended.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alt did in fact mention using a spread restriction instead of a point restriction. But he also mentioned two other preferred options for increasing the buck age structure and let's see if you remember what they were?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

gary alt was at lock haven university to explain the AR/HR.

we packed the house.

he said,FOLKS,HERE IS HORNS YOU WILL HAVE IF YOU DO THE HR FOR PGC,he then held up a 8 point rack.

then he said,REMEMBER, ONLY SHOOT OLDER DOE,LEAVE FAWNS GO.

well, i could see those beef jerky looking back strap hunters licking their lips.

they could not wait to shoot a lot of doe and FAWNS .

now, those SAME hunters boo hoo to the SPROUL.
no deer,sproul.

unreal.........

Quick Reply: PA antler restriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.