Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA antler restriction >

PA antler restriction

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA antler restriction

Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA antler restriction

I have no need to manipulate the PGC data, because their raw data shows that productivity has decreased instead of increasing along with breeding rates and the breeding period hasn't changed. Therefore ARs have failed to produce the intended results.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Furthermore , I wouldn't give a plug nickels worth of credibility to a survey conducted by the QDMA since they have a history of manipulating data to support their agenda of bigger racked bucks.
Surprise surprise surprise!

You don't give credibility to QDMA

You don't give credibility to Dr Kroll, Dr Samuel, Dr Alt, Dr Rosenberry

You admitted to having no training in wildlife biology but of course, you know best how our deer should be managed.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't give credibility to Dr Kroll, Dr Samuel, Dr Alt, Dr Rosenberry
Wrong again! Dr Rosenberry is the exception to the rule. When I ask him why 2F was being managed at 22 PS DPSM while 2G was being managed at 12 PS DPSM. he was honest enough to say he didn't know . While Alt was claiming the B/D ratio was skewed , Dr. R . was saying there were enough buck to breed the doe within a reasonable time period. Dr. R. said we had high breeding rates before ARs and doesn't try to explain why breeding rates and productivity decreased with HR and ARs.

Dr. Alt was shill for the DCNR and the timber industry and Dr. Kroll is a shill for QDM.

BTW,did you notice the PGC is no longer asking hunters to pass on BB?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

im not against the WMUs, what i dont like is the bow hunters get more hunting time in Pa. six to eight weeks while the rifle hunter gets 2 weeks. out of those two weeks most of us may get to hunt a couple of days. bow hunters have the time to be choosy on the bucks they shoot. why not make it possible for all hunters to have the same amount of time to hunt. the PGC should allow rifle hunters the opportunity to hunt doe after Xmas along with the muzzleloaders. this would help in lowering the doe population where its needed. lets make hunting time equal for all hunters.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

In WMU 2B,5C and 5D you can hunt antlerless deer from Dec. 1 to Jan .24 , but they still have a problem controlling the herd due to limited hunter access.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mr. Slim

im not against the WMUs, what i dont like is the bow hunters get more hunting time in Pa. six to eight weeks while the rifle hunter gets 2 weeks. out of those two weeks most of us may get to hunt a couple of days. bow hunters have the time to be choosy on the bucks they shoot. why not make it possible for all hunters to have the same amount of time to hunt. the PGC should allow rifle hunters the opportunity to hunt doe after Xmas along with the muzzleloaders. this would help in lowering the doe population where its needed. lets make hunting time equal for all hunters.
Lets look at it another way. Archery hunters number about one third of PA's total hunter numbers but they harvest only about 15-18% of the deer. You are correct that we get more time to hunt deer but due to the challenges of hunting with a bow, archers only take less than a fair share of the deer taken. If you want fairness and equality maybe we should lengthen the archery seasons until archers harvest a percentage of the deer equal to their numbers. Or maybe the rifle season should be shortened till the harvest ratio is more "fair"

I would never work to shorten the gun season but gun hunters who are jealous of thelength of the archery seasons are way off base.

I'll also be glad to make the the offer to any gun hunter who wants to get more time in the woods by getting started in archery. I'll be glad to help you pick a good bow, get it tuned up and sighted in and help get you on your way
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have a Browning x-cellerator compound in excellent condition for sale.
Laminated wood riser, glass recurve style limbs.
It is LEFT handed, set at 60 lbs, with adjustable draw of I believe 27-32 inches. Comes with a hard sided case, quiver, extra strings a sight and 4 Beman carbon arrows. I have an asking price of $175. I can email pictures.
This would be great for anyone that is LEFT handed and is looking to get into archery for a song. It is my Dad's bow and he killed 7 bucks with it before upgrading. I can email pics of the bucks too!!!
Here is your chance, and away you go into bowhunting!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we get pleanty of time w/ gun. 2 weeks in centerfire, 1 week inline ML (although it is doe only) hopefully bucks in the future, and flinters only Dec. 26-Jan. 10, (which I'm sure they open to Inlines in the future ) as it is a new $$ for the PGC.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree BH1. With the exception of SRA's, it seems that the seasons are adequate in length to manage the deer effectively while giving fair and generous hunting opportunities to all. I personally kind of like the experiment they're doing this year in 2D, 2G etc with a week of buck only but only time will tell if it's a good idea.

SRA's remain a problem because even with the long seasons, much of the deer habitat is unavailable to hunters so we have deer sanctuaries next to "obliteration zones" High hunting pressure in the areas accesable to hunters pushes the deer onto the posted or unaccessable ground till the seasonis over then some of the deer work their way back in. It's a less than perfect system but no easy answer seems to be out there.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:08 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

QDMA studies are now showing approximately 80% of PA hunters surveyed favor AR's where close to 80% were against them or were at least skeptical before they were instituted.

There are still flaw and there are still regions where the deer numbers and forest health are terrible. Cameron County is right up among the worst if not THE worst. Perhaps you need to adapt and look for a new hunting area within PA.[hr][ You say NY is so much better, why even spend the $$ for gas the nonresident license if it's so much better at home?]

Because I'm a hunting fool and I like hunting all day without seeing Posted signs and other hunters!

Quick Reply: PA antler restriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.