Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

read that along time ago, used the archery portion to ask just how many hours it takes the average person to be able to hit a pie plate at 20 yds w/ a compound w/ all the bells and whistles including the one made in NJ w/ 99% let off you can nock an arrow and draw it back then hang it drawn on stand. Sounds more like they are accomodating bow hunters that want to shotgun hunt,not a bad thing btw. Still can't see any connection to the xbow poll/surveys, they is what they is: "split down the middle" and 54% of archery only hunters. Want to talk about former prez JS claim NJ has highest archery success per cent in nation? Why shotguns, lol.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 AM

Many of us use traditional equipment and many limit, or claim to, their shots to 15 yards. They'd have to work at the test.

I wonder how they would tell if they were really bowhunters?

I have seen the opposition fall over the years, one survey almost 10 years ago with close to 98% opposed to something like 76% 4 years ago. But 50/50 seems incredible to me as it was to the leadership of UBNJ. A sin equal to allowing worm fishermen in the fly fishing only section of the stream.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the bow hunting organizations want to make an effort to get a good reading on howa broad range of hunters across the state feel about the crossbow, then fine. But they don't seem to be doing that.

Using a crossbow is like using worms in the fly section of a trout stream? Logic like that is exactly why you're gonna lose on this issue.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many of us use traditional equipment and many limit, or claim to, their shots to 15 yards.
And I have the utmost respect for them. I've often stated imho, trad guys should get first whack at the deer. I'd like to watch a guy make a self bow or fab his own arrows from a chunk of wood. Archery has changed more in our lifetimes than in the last several thousand years. If trad were the only option available other than xbows I wouldn't have much if anything to say. However, that baby got threw out w/the bath water in 1969 and Mr Allen and Mr. Jennings were dumping the buckets, lol. Shoot what ever and shoot it well.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Many of us use traditional equipment and many limit, or claim to, their shots to 15 yards.
And I have the utmost respect for them. I've often stated imho, trad guys should get first whack at the deer. I'd like to watch a guy make a self bow or fab his own arrows from a chunk of wood. Archery has changed more in our lifetimes than in the last several thousand years. If trad were the only option available other than xbows I wouldn't have much if anything to say. However, that baby got threw out w/the bath water in 1969 and Mr Allen and Mr. Jennings were dumping the buckets, lol. Shoot what ever and shoot it well.

I've already been identified early on in this thread as being "long in tooth" and I'll just go ya one further....I shot my first bowkill deer in 1962 with a 50 lb. Ben Pearson recurve and a cedar shaft. That equipment is long gone. Archery will always be here no matter what you use. Time stops for no man.......
Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

sMatt sorry been gone for a while. It is nice for me to carry the Xbow in Ohio. (I own ground in PA, you probably missed that in your passion to have the woods to yourself). I enjoy shooting it as well as compound bows. The guys in my camp in PA use compound and Xbow. It is a non issue! Do you really think this rant you guys are laying out is going to have any effect on bow type legislation? PGC will see a revenue stream and I will hunt on Sunday and I will hunt w/ Xbow. This has nothing to do w/ conservation as the path laid out by the PAPGC is reduce the herd and make money!! You bow boys ain't doing it, bow numbers decrease, revenue decreases you lose! Again I understand your passion, but you are not alone in the woods. Do you also want to boot small game huntring during bow? Jeeze guy this is exactly why I won't join UBPM org.'s as they are right and feel they are only ones in the woods or deserve the woods. These sections about woods to crowded already, what is that about? Again bow boys are displaying entitlement. I pay the fees, I pay taxes I get a say and I support Xbow. Money talks it all comes down to that. Heck man, if it was a matter of what is right and wrong you all wouldn't have Rendell in office attacking your rights! There is a target not me! Oh and by the way Matt, your Compound lobbbyists nevr attend these meetings, if they are npot involved at that level don't support them as they atre watching your sport die on the vine! XBow lobbyists at least realize the impact of attendance at these functions??? Hunt safe my friend, lot of people out there crowding the woods!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 AM

WOW ! this is a very arguementitive topic . All I know is that if there isn't something done about the deer herd in PA it doesn't matter what we hunt them with , you can't shoot a ghost with any bow that I am aware of !
Old 07-19-2008, 10:05 AM

It really isn't hard to build a herd up. You just reduce doe tags.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Spike

Wut, reduce Doe Tags to increase the herd ... So, apparently RSB's theorem of a larger herd thru the increased breeding productivity(with a smaller sized herd) isn't working afterall, who would have ever thunk it.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

........I don't know either. I just remember the screaming, wailing and gnashing of teeth when the compound was introduced. It was predicted that it would be the total downfall of archery and anyone with one was certain to kill a deer.
Uhhhh....didn't happen......
Exactly!

The same exact 'stuff' was predicted then, (yet Never came to be, wasn't true then and certainly isn't now as there are Many more deer now compared to then)..... and this is the exact same thing, the only difference is "then" there were not nearly as many deer anywhere as they are now!

NO one is asking for anyone to be forced to use a crossbow, only that those who wish to use another BOW (crossbow) be allowed to do so in PUBLIC seasons.....exactly as happened with compounds......

Question:

Who "thinks" we would have a bow ONLY season Now, had compounds not been included?

Keep in mind that over 90% hunt with compounds today.....

Seriously think about that and the implications now when we're losing hunters at an alarming rate.......and the Anti Hunting factions along with the AR groups wish to totally eliminate Bow hunting Nationwide.

Whatever your "stance" on this issue there is no disputing that full crossbow inclusion does aid in hunter recruitment and retention, the data proves that it does.

Quick Reply: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.