Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

If the bow hunting organizations want to make an effort to get a good reading on howa broad range of hunters across the state feel about the crossbow, then fine. But they don't seem to be doing that.

Using a crossbow is like using worms in the fly section of a trout stream? Logic like that is exactly why you're gonna lose on this issue.
Well NJ bow hunting organization did exactly that, (much to their dismay) I'll let everyone read it for themselves .......

Our initial reaction was to stand firmly behind the UBNJ’s crossbow policy (which by the way parallels the current P&Y club standards)opposing the introduction of the crossbow into any bowseason, with the exceptionof those who are disabled, as is the current policy. However, in order to see how our membership felt the UBNJ performed its own survey. The results surprised some of our Council members, indicating that our membership was virtually split down the middle regarding this issue

http://www.ubnj.org/camp/fire.html

You Will Notice however as you "read on" they will still FIGHT this, depsite that obvious outcome, which IMO "says a great deal" about the whole issue, IF "you" belong to any bow organization who IS fighing anything without asking the Memberhip (who pays All the bills) inquire about "why" they would fight anything or sign onto the NABC/PBS "stuff" before surveying Every member.......

Warning:

YOU may not like hearing " you don't really matter" WE do what we're going to do, for our own selfish reasons (may not be in those "exact words" but a horse is not a cow, it's still a horse)
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

My understanding is that the UBNJ only represents a small percentage of the total number of bow hunters in NJ. It would be interesting to see the results if an effort was made to poll a sample of ALL bow hunters in the state as well as a sample of ALL hunters and get their reaction. I think that those in favor of the crossbow would be much, much greater than 50-50.

The President of the UBNJ is doing a great job of making an a$$ out of himself over this issue.But the more outrageous the claims of the anti-bow hunters get, the more they shoot themselves in the foot.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

My understanding is that the UBNJ only represents a small percentage of the total number of bow hunters in NJ. It would be interesting to see the results if an effort was made to poll a sample of ALL bow hunters in the state as well as a sample of ALL hunters and get their reaction. I think that those in favor of the crossbow would be much, much greater than 50-50.

The President of the UBNJ is doing a great job of making an a$$ out of himself over this issue.But the more outrageous the claims of the anti-bow hunters get, the more they shoot themselves in the foot.
They did. Sent out random surveys. Got back 5X the expected amount. View it here:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2008 ... rvey07.pdf

Brief summary:

When broken down by user groups, total support was still in favor of crossbows:
bow & gun hunters, 72%; gun-only hunters, 79%; bow-only hunters, 67%. The
majority of non-deer hunters were also in favor of crossbows (56%).

Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Xbow fun

BTB I hope you have been following this thread sometimes. Seems sportsmen and women aren't as impacted by the crossbow and it's usage as your original thread alludes. By the way, I just bought my wife a crossbow and my daughter 10 and i are looking for a suitable one for her. Seems they don't have the armstrngth you have so Xbow is a great opportunity to get us all in the woods together, of course that goes against your grain as Xbows offer to many opportunities for people to go in the woods and crowd "the real hunters". Again, I will huint on Sunday's and w/a Xbow in PA in a very short while. I have just created a $$ income producing opportunity for PAPGC that they will NOT turn down. I am sorry to be so sarcastic, but the bow community has just turned me off w/ these entitlment statements about prowess and practice and special seasons, and whining about people in the woods who don't belong, etc.......... I went through it when I small gamed w/ my bird dog and now because I lean more towards shooting my Xbow than my compound, you guys are banging me again. As I aged in this sport I learned in PA (at least) that it is all about the $$, not the sport. Old saying used in the law enforcement "Follow the money". Good Hunting!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Xbow fun

Keep in mind that it is not the entire "bow hunting community" saying the silly stuff. It is a relatively small number of people within the bow hunting ranks doing it. But i agree that those doing most of the talking have really shot themselves in the foot with the logic that they have tried to use.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM

LONG BOW,...RECURVE BOW...COMPOUND BOW,..RECURVE CROSSBOW,.. COMPOUND CROSSBOW,....TWO STICKS AND A STRING...
WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 AM

Something I found on another site I think was worth reading

http://crossbownation.com/community/showthread.php?t=541
Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just thought i would chime in for a bow hunter that lives in PA....i am for people who physically cannot shoot a compound getting a permit to shoot a crossbow....but thats the only reason i would want to see a xbow in PA's archery season. I agree with Matt/PA
Old 08-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I still oppose the use of crossbows during the general archery season in this state. The woods are already too crowded. There is plenty of opportunity to use a X-bowunder the current seasons.
i feel same.
i say let them for disabled as it gives them chance to hunt and still see a deer.that will end if large increase of hunters start using crossbow.

many friends of mine say they are having hard time hunting because more hunters are in woods with crossbow in ARCHERY .

i dont have problem with CROSSBOW, i just dont want more hunters in woods when its so hard to get buck now with bow.

i think you will find that my opinion is same with everyone that hunts hard in archery.

NO DOUBT more doe are being killed in archery with crossbows and some real nice bucks by hunters that could not hit side of barn with recurve bow.

i know people that cant hunt worth a dang getting deer with crossbow.

they never would take time to learn how to shoot a recurve or compound.

again, i have no complaint with crossbow or hunters that love to hunt with them,my concern is the increase number of hunters after very few deer left in clinton/potter/cameron countys.

isight in crossbows for our club ,its fun and most like their bows,it opened up new hunting in archery.
thats great for those that i stated above but not good for hunters like myself that like tro be alone after a big buck in areas with FEW deer,wmu2g.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 1luckybuck

WOW ! this is a very arguementitive topic . All I know is that if there isn't something done about the deer herd in PA it doesn't matter what we hunt them with , you can't shoot a ghost with any bow that I am aware of !

GO TO HEAD OF CLASS.

you are right on.

if we had lots of deer like in 60/70s, there would be no objection to crossbow.

BUT the crossbow will double hunters hunting very few deer that are left in WMU2G.

EVERYONE LISTEN,forget you surveys and if crossbow is gun etc.

its not any that,real truth is, ARCHERY SEASON takes time and good hunting skills.

adding MORE hunters with more of chance to get a deer is NOT WELCOME by most of hunters i know.

look how early doe oct thing is ruining that week of archery,now add more hunters ,which crossbows will do that.

ITS NOT CROSSBOW,ITS ALL NEW HUNTERS THAT DID NOT HUNT ARCHERY BEFORE NOW HUNTING VERY FEW DEER THAT ARE LEFT WITH A GREAT CHANCE OF HARVESTING THAT BUCK THAT A RECURVE/COMPOUND HUNTER HAD TO THEMSELVES.

call it selfish by us hunters,YES,no doubt about that too.

Quick Reply: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.