Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY may lower hunting age >

NY may lower hunting age

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY may lower hunting age

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default NY may lower hunting age

WESB News: 06/26/08 - NY May Lower Hunting Age for Small Game

The New York State Assembly and Senate have passed legislation that would lower the hunting age across the state from 16 to 14 years old.

The legislation is now awaiting Gov Paterson’s signature and would allow 12- and 13-year-olds to hunt small game.

Upon the governor’s final approval, 14- and 15-year-old hunters will be allowed to hunt deer and bear while under the supervision of an adult
Old 06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY may lower hunting age

I just checked the ny state assembly website and couldn't find anything about this , but I hope that you are right
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

12 & 13 yr olds have been able to hunt small game for many yrs now. The bill your speaking of is to lower the age for big game hunting from 16 to 14yr olds. Its been attempted for at least the past 5 yrs, but always gets shot down. So far this is the farthest the youth bill has made it. Hopefully it goes through this time.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

New York needs to get on track with the rest of the country. NY is one of the few that doesn't allow youngsters to hunt at these ages. Get with it NY!!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

what's really scarry is that there is a bill on the boks to RAISE the hunting age . I don't see it going anywhere but just the thought of it ?!?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Troutman10

New York needs to get on track with the rest of the country. NY is one of the few that doesn't allow youngsters to hunt at these ages. Get with it NY!!
I agree Troutman10!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow 14yr olds cant hunt now under parental supervision?

16 to hunt alone is one thing, but I think 10 or 12 with supervision is not a problem.

some states in the south have no age with supervision I believe, or its like 6.....

never understood how some states allow 16 to hunt alone....yet 18 to own a firearm? less its 16 with supervision....

ya if I couldnt hunt until i was 16.....that would be a good # of years missed cause of age issues.

I think here in IL its 10 with supervision, least thats when you can get your safety card....

Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

I read in my local paper that this is likely to pass. Did anybody hear if it past?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Right now this bill is sitting on Pattersons desk awaiting his signature. Unfortunately there is a small monkeywrench in the works. The anti's and PETA freaks have launched a super duper letter campain to stop him from signing it. New York Hunters really need to write their support of this bill to Patterson ASAP!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seems kind of bassakwards to me. Having a kid stomping brush and jump shooting rabbits, quail, etc. seems to be a much trickier thing that having them sitting in a stand with a bow or rifle.

Quick Reply: NY may lower hunting age

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.