HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY may lower hunting age (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/250612-ny-may-lower-hunting-age.html)

DennyF 06-26-2008 09:32 AM

NY may lower hunting age

WESB News: 06/26/08 - NY May Lower Hunting Age for Small Game

The New York State Assembly and Senate have passed legislation that would lower the hunting age across the state from 16 to 14 years old.

The legislation is now awaiting Gov Paterson’s signature and would allow 12- and 13-year-olds to hunt small game.

Upon the governor’s final approval, 14- and 15-year-old hunters will be allowed to hunt deer and bear while under the supervision of an adult

johnl 06-26-2008 03:36 PM

RE: NY may lower hunting age

I just checked the ny state assembly website and couldn't find anything about this , but I hope that you are right

BuckAlley 06-26-2008 07:16 PM

12 & 13 yr olds have been able to hunt small game for many yrs now. The bill your speaking of is to lower the age for big game hunting from 16 to 14yr olds. Its been attempted for at least the past 5 yrs, but always gets shot down. So far this is the farthest the youth bill has made it. Hopefully it goes through this time.

Troutman10 06-27-2008 07:47 PM

New York needs to get on track with the rest of the country. NY is one of the few that doesn't allow youngsters to hunt at these ages. Get with it NY!!

johnl 06-28-2008 03:45 AM

what's really scarry is that there is a bill on the boks to RAISE the hunting age . I don't see it going anywhere but just the thought of it ?!?

Shed94 06-28-2008 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Troutman10

New York needs to get on track with the rest of the country. NY is one of the few that doesn't allow youngsters to hunt at these ages. Get with it NY!!
I agree Troutman10!!!!!!!!!!!

salukipv1 06-28-2008 07:17 PM

wow 14yr olds cant hunt now under parental supervision?

16 to hunt alone is one thing, but I think 10 or 12 with supervision is not a problem.

some states in the south have no age with supervision I believe, or its like 6.....

never understood how some states allow 16 to hunt alone....yet 18 to own a firearm? less its 16 with supervision....

ya if I couldnt hunt until i was 16.....that would be a good # of years missed cause of age issues.

I think here in IL its 10 with supervision, least thats when you can get your safety card....

nybowhunter 07-11-2008 05:51 AM

I read in my local paper that this is likely to pass. Did anybody hear if it past?

SaintHubert 07-11-2008 09:22 AM

Right now this bill is sitting on Pattersons desk awaiting his signature. Unfortunately there is a small monkeywrench in the works. The anti's and PETA freaks have launched a super duper letter campain to stop him from signing it. New York Hunters really need to write their support of this bill to Patterson ASAP!

Lanse couche couche 07-11-2008 09:43 AM

Seems kind of bassakwards to me. Having a kid stomping brush and jump shooting rabbits, quail, etc. seems to be a much trickier thing that having them sitting in a stand with a bow or rifle.