Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 more on the PGC's blunders! >

more on the PGC's blunders!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

more on the PGC's blunders!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default more on the PGC's blunders!

Hanna bill to revamp Game Commission

POSTED: March 29, 2008 [/align]Save | Print | Email [/align][/align]

Email: "Hanna bill to revamp Game Commission"

*To:[/align]

<--TO Email REQUIRED![/align]

<--FROM Email REQUIRED![/align]

[/align]

function validateEmailContent() {
var dspError = 0;
if (document.forms.emailContent.toEmailContent == null||document.forms.emailContent.toEmailContent.v alue == '') {
document.getElementById('toEmailContent').style.bo rder = 'solid #ff0000 1px';
document.getElementById('toEmailContentError').sty le.display = 'block';
dspError = 1;
}else{
document.getElementById('toEmailContent').style.bo rder = '';
document.getElementById('toEmailContentError').sty le.display = 'none';
}if (document.forms.emailContent.fromEmailContent == null||document.forms.emailContent.fromEmailContent .value == '') {
document.getElementById('fromEmailContent').style. border = 'solid #ff0000 1px';
document.getElementById('fromEmailContentError').s tyle.display = 'block';
dspError = 1;
}else{
document.getElementById('fromEmailContent').style. border = '';
document.getElementById('fromEmailContentError').s tyle.display = 'none';
}

if ( dspError != 0 ){
return false;
}
}

HARRISBURG — State Rep. Mike Hanna, D-Lock Haven, has introduced legislation that would reorganize the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s board of directors.

House Bill 2381 would prohibit former Game Commission employees or deputy conservation officers from serving on the board.

It would also require the board to take into account the possible social, economic and recreational impact of its decisions.

“Many outdoorsmen and sportsmen and women are increasingly disillusioned about the board’s decisions on hunting regulations and the management of State Game Lands,” Hanna said. “Too much bureaucracy and being beholden to outside interests don’t allow for objective decisions.”

Under Hanna’s bill, eight residents from different regions of Pennsylvania who have knowledge of wildlife conservation and restoration would be appointed to the board by the governor and confirmed by the state Senate.

“It’s obvious the current board is out of touch with the general public,” Hanna said. “We need a different perspective on wildlife management and other issues from the people who have a direct stake in the outcome.”

The bill is currently under consideration in the House Game and Fisheries Committee
Old 03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: more on the PGC's blunders!

It seems like I see more timber and natural gas operations on "public land" in north-central PA these days. On another site, someone posted pictures of seemingly uncontrolledrun-off and well site constructionin the Allegheny National Forest.

Management in out interest?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Host of Hosts

I understand the frustration many have with the PGC, but I have never seen the Government do much good when they get involved with things like this either. We should be careful what we wish for.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I understand the frustration many have with the PGC, but I have never seen the Government do much good when they get involved with things like this either. We should be careful what we wish for.
Under Hanna’s bill, eight residents from different regions of Pennsylvania who have knowledge of wildlife conservation and restoration would be appointed to the board by the governor and confirmed by the state Senate.
Sounds like they would be getting imput from citizens rather then goverment employees.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Spike

That's the thing Charlie. They get input now from the citizens, via CAC's, quarterly public meetings, and letters, phone calls, and emails. Most, if not all reg changes are in response to citizens groups complaints / requests. The entire board are just ordinary citizens with a background in the outdoors. They're intensively reviewed by sportsmen for about a year prior to even getting sent to the governor to nominate one to the senate for their confirmation. It's a whole process that starts with a citizen putting together his/her resume and then getting their local senator to endorse them as a candidate.
Hanna, the rep who introduced this bill isn't very knowledgable on "outdoor issues" and it appears he doesn't even know how the current system works. This bill was spurred on by a small club who think because they don't get their "demands" met by the pgc, they aren't listening to anyone. But yet they are listening to the demands of a couple million. The states hunters don't want politicians in the mix and luckily, there are some politicians who don't want saddled with the job either. That was pretty obvious when the usp got clobbered in front of the game and fish committee and on tv too.

Bottom line; there's a lot of bogus bills that were put out there by some politicians who want control of hunting and the assets of the sportsmen for their own gain. All the major sportsmens organizations are against them except for one small group. And the anti's are even supporters of these bills.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me that this "Bill" is way too vague and ambiguous for any serious consideration. More "Pie-in-the-sky" sentiment maybe.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM

The people in office today - you will never get rid of because they are rich and powerful and they had the right connections to get the job in the first place.

Plus once they are put in office, they get a pension for life, regualdless of what they did or even if they were fired.

There is no way that a State Senator is going to nominate someone unless there is power and money behind him.

Even at the lowest level, you will see buisness owners that has other interests - get put into office and then it will be right back where it started from.

Disputes about boundry lines and how many sections a man will represent and then the graft and corruption of the Natural Gas Companies and the Timber companies and the Coal companies that wants on the property =- to rape and pillage the land.

The big joke the other day was millionairs telling Joe Schmoe =- average public that kids should have to pay $5 for a fishing license and that all the money generated will be used to put on programs for the kids to get them interested in fishing.

Then they put 90% of the income in their pockets and the other 10% into fishing derbys - where the kids might catch a 10 inch brooke trout.

$5 for one trout sounds like a good investment.

Then they guy went so far as to say that the average teenager throws away more than that on an average weekend on junk, so they would never miss it.

To some of the kids in Clearfield County, $5 is still a lot of money.

There is the millionaire that gives his kids $50 a week allowance - thinking that all families must have that kind of disposable income to throw away every week like his family has.

Some people has to work for a living.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Host of Hosts

What the heck are you rambling about?? I read your post 4 times and got more confused each time I read it.(rifleman)
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well meathunter - you are right, the PGC does get input from concerned citizens. But this input is speaking on deaf ears. I personally have been sending emails to the PGC for years regarding anterless license allotments. I hunt in NC region (Clinton Co.) and NE region (North'd/schuylkill Cos.). I hunt our cabin in Clinton for bear every year and last year was the first time in 3 years that I had seen a deer. And I hunt from dawn to dusk.
Also, around my home in Northumberland Co., I've been noticing a dramatic drop in deer population. Areas that normally held a good population of deer you would be hard pressed to even find a track now. This year I walked a good 3 miles in one area after a snowfall and never cut a deertrack. Turkey, fox, racoon, and coyote, but no deer. I've offered to take the local wildlife officer on a 'hike' and didn't get a response.
IMO the PGC screwed up royally and it will take years for the population to bounce back in some areas. Maybe some people on the board that WILL LISTEN to the public would be a good thing.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

anyone who thinks they want to support this thing better read again. The language leaves it wide open for the PETA types to demand that their voice be represented.

Be very careful what you wish for.....

Quick Reply: more on the PGC's blunders!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.