Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA harvest #'s????????? >

PA harvest #'s?????????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA harvest #'s?????????

Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 AM
jf5

Default RE: PA harvest #'s?????????

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: jf5

PA harvest for 2007: 361,560 deer in 22 WMU's is approx 14,434 avg deer per WMU.

PAharvested almost 4K more deer(per WMU avg)than my whole state, all seasons combined!!

I'd say that you guys still have enough deer to hunt.

[align=center][/align]
and just how many acres is your home land?
Don't know the acres. The state of MA complete.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Spike

I Live in Armstrong County PA and Yes, we are seeing less deer but the bucks arebecoming monsters. For example in rifle or archeryif you would see a buckthat was a eight point with a 16 inchspread that was a reallyreally goodbuck. But not anymoreifthe buckis 15 inches then thats our borderline buck. We usually pass them up and let them grow for next year.

Even tho you don't see deer they are there. Deer are smarter than you think they are. Just remember this everytime you step into the woods your in there home.

Plus where I hunt I used to see 70 deer the first day of rifle with all small bucks. NowI see about 40 deer and a good chance to see a larger buck. Another thing to take into consideration is posted land. People are buying land and posting it. When hunting season rolls around they post up all daylong in there tree stands. So they dont move the deer around. I know thats half of the reasonwhy I am not seeing as many deer.

Just some thoughts--- PAHUNTER1981
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM

I used to see 20-30 per day on opening day rifle.

I haven't seen 40 deer in 3 years of intensive archery and rifle hunting.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

If I saw 40 deer in a week where we hunt I'd have a heart attack. We still hunt and put on drives, don't sit for hours. Most of my hunting is during the second week of the season, and there is usually some lake-effect snow on the ground.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: the outsider

If I saw 40 deer in a week where we hunt I'd have a heart attack. We still hunt and put on drives, don't sit for hours. Most of my hunting is during the second week of the season, and there is usually some lake-effect snow on the ground.
LOL, tell me about it. I'd be lucky to see 40 deer in 5 seasons in my state...
Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'm watching the executive director of the PGC review the PGC's annual report to the House Game & Fisheries Committee (on tv). Seems like now they want to increase the herd in northcentral PA. And try some new studies. Sounded like they went from reduce the herdto stabilize the herdto increase the herd.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

As I watch more of the annual report presentation, the executive director is really getting beat up for deer management, being inflexible, and not listening to the hunting public. And the committee is really concerned about license sales decreasing, and the mean age of hunters today in PA. If you can catch this on tv, it's on PCN. Maybe on their website as well. Seems like the committee is hearing what the public is saying, and I take my hat off to them for that.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 AM

Outsider,

Thanks for the update. Great to hear that they are "MAYBE" listening to the public. Afterall it is our sport.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 PM

PA harvest for 2007: 361,560 deer in 22 WMU's is approx 14,434 avg deer per WMU.

PAharvested almost 4K more deer(per WMU avg)than my whole state, all seasons combined!!

I'd say that you guys still have enough deer to hunt.

jf5 how many hunters you got in your state is a factor here also.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone know if its possible to keep the herd stable , when we harvested over 100,000 more doe than buck in 2007. In the past,didn't the herd increase when we harvested about the same number of buck and doe?

Quick Reply: PA harvest #'s?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.