HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   legal ATV riding areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/237104-legal-atv-riding-areas.html)

geterdun3 03-12-2008 02:28 PM

legal ATV riding areas

hey all. i usually ride around my county, but recently the police have been hassling us, as it is illegal to ride on property if its not yours. i was wanderinf where do people go to ride in MD legally? i know greenridge you can, but that loop is boring, especially after the first go around. i am looking for more of trails, mud, all that. any ideaS? thanks alot

SteveBNy 03-12-2008 04:13 PM

RE: legal ATV riding areas

recently the police have been hassling us, as it is illegal to ride on property if its not yours.
Not hassling - doing their job stopping trespassing and damage to private propery it sounds like. Reasons why few
are willing to allow trails on their property.

Steve

Avalanche 03-12-2008 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

recently the police have been hassling us, as it is illegal to ride on property if its not yours.
Not hassling - doing their job stopping trespassing and damage to private propery it sounds like. Reasons why few
are willing to allow trails on their property.

Steve
Well said Steve :)

Buckshot 03-12-2008 09:06 PM

Stupid ?, but why did ya buy the darn thing if you had no place to ride it?

Champlain Islander 03-13-2008 05:50 PM

Move to Vermont. We have lots of places to ride on the frozen lakes and ponds.:D

BuckAlley 03-13-2008 07:15 PM

I'm very involved with a ATV club in my county. Many of us like you were tired of paying high dollars for atv's, and no place to legally ride them except your own private property. But yet in NY we have to register them asa motorized vehicle. NYS collects our $, but gives us nothing back. So 7 yrs ago signs were put up for a meeting to start a potential atv club. Its been a struggle, and every yr it continues to be a struggle. But now we have over 1,200 members, and numerous trails. We hold atv events, like our spring rodeo. We do benefit rides for hospice, and give donations to some charities. We did a poker run type ride last yr. to raise $ for our local Fire dept. to purchase a rescue atv unit. Another fire dept in the county called upon our atv club to help search for a downed plane. Our club found it. Were not about hell raisers, and outlaw riders. Were a honest do it right club, thats here for the public, to have fun, and help where ever we can.

This is THE ONLY way to help get the government, public involved, and aware of the demand for more atv recreational opportunities. Trust me the last thing you want to be doing is riding illegally, and being chased by the police. Pissing off private land owners. All thats doing is digging your own grave, and giving all atv owners a bad reputation. If you have such a club nearby, join it. If not, look into possibly starting one. Thats the best advice I can give you.

geterdun3 03-14-2008 11:08 AM

buckalley - thanks for the info

everyone else, thanks for nothing. i didnt ask for a lecture, just some places to ride. i bought the thing because i love riding them, and i have been aroundhere for years. but they recently started messin with us. i understand its their job, thats why i asked where else to ride. nevermind though i got some good answers from another forum, its all good. i

SteveBNy 03-14-2008 01:27 PM

Nobody ever asks for a lecture - sometime they just happen - for a reason:D

Steve

geterdun3 03-14-2008 02:01 PM

ok well lecture someone who cares. you shoulda either said nothing or answer my question.

SteveBNy 03-14-2008 02:04 PM

:D:D:D:D

I did answer it.

Steve