HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   COULD BEAR DO THIS? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/234573-could-bear-do.html)

sproulman 02-25-2008 10:07 PM

COULD BEAR DO THIS?

i was out coyote hunting,missed 2 on sat here in pa.
on my way in all along the pipeline for about 100 yds all the pine trees were pulled down and limbs were bro off.

i never saw this in my life.
at first i thought it must be elk that was rubbing its horns as only a few lower limbs were bro of ,THEN i came to pine trees that were 12 ft high that were pulled right to ground and roots were sticking.

then limbs were pulled off while on ground..

looks like someone took a chain saw to limbs but most were SNAPPED OFF..this happened last week as i was there before and no damage.........

i cant believe a animal could pull a pine tree down and roots out.

COULD A BEAR DO THIS.
i know bear hibernate now but i cant think of any anaimal that lives that could do this but a bear?

man, all years in woods i never saw that,its getting scary out there...............

BTBowhunter 02-26-2008 03:06 AM

RE: COULD BEAR DO THIS?

ORIGINAL: sproulman

on my way in all along the pipeline for about 100 yds all the pine trees were pulled down and limbs were bro off.

at first i thought it must be elk that was rubbing its horns as only a few lower limbs were bro of ,THEN i came to pine trees that were 12 ft high that were pulled right to ground and roots were sticking.

looks like someone took a chain saw to limbs but most were SNAPPED OFF..this happened last week as i was there before and no damage.........

COULD A BEAR DO THIS.
i know bear hibernate now but i cant think of any anaimal that lives that could do this but a bear?

man, all years in woods i never saw that,its getting scary out there...............
Air turbulence from black helicopters dropping cougars and coyotes funded by the insurance companies

Pawildman 02-26-2008 07:22 AM

COULD A BEAR DO THIS.

Any huge footprints around?? Sounds like a Sasquatch. Typical behavior this time of the year. Marking territory for the upcoming Spring mating season.......... Don't ever urinate at one of these sights and get it on your boot. They will follow the scent and try to mate with you. The offspring usually grow up to be Democrats. One even became Governor of Pennsylvania about 5 or so years ago. Just take a close look at the facial features....

BTBowhunter 02-26-2008 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

COULD A BEAR DO THIS.

Any huge footprints around?? Sounds like a Sasquatch. Typical behavior this time of the year. Marking territory for the upcoming Spring mating season.......... Don't ever urinate at one of these sights and get it on your boot. They will follow the scent and try to mate with you. The offspring usually grow up to be Democrats. One even became Governor of Pennsylvania about 5 or so years ago. Just take a close look at the facial features....
I thinkPawildman may have figured it out. Sproul, put up a trail cam and bait it with a Philly Cheese Steak!

Bocajnala 02-26-2008 10:44 AM

definately big foot. no doubt.

sproulman 02-26-2008 12:21 PM

i called a guy whohunts bear a lot more than me.

he lives for bear hunting..

he said that male bears will stay out all winter and some will come in/out of den, if they denned.

he said he sees it alot.

what bear does is climbs up the pine tree to eat at the little cones that are usually at top.
then his weight will bend tree down and bear will continue to hang on and pull it over..

the bear will also eat the pine limb bark and needles.

best part of the tree is at TOP,NOT BOTTOM OF TREE,SO THEY GO AFTER THAT.

he said, he is most likely a MALE bear and he is hungry.

he said when it snows , bears do not go after acorns as much if ground is frozen,they will eat tops of pines and break the h out of tree.

usually he said its pines no taller than 10/12 ft high from ground..

i have to admit, all years i am in woods ,i never saw that but area i hunt my deer in is not a bear area but there is bear i saw for last 2 years that is there that i wont shoot until he gets above 200 pds,he is still little.

i stopped a DCNR employee TODAYand asked if he ever saw this.

he said, SPROUL GO UP HYNER,PA MTN TO VIEW AND LOOK ON PIPELINES.

he said over 5,000 trees the bears have destroyed iN those yellow containers that were 10 ft tall,he said they tore the trees RIGHT OUT OF GROUND.

well, now you have it..

if anyone would like to add their info on this, i would be interested.

what is next, BEARS PULLING TREES OUT OF GROUND.:eek:

Matt / PA 02-26-2008 04:42 PM

Don't forget that we had several pretty good ice storms here this year in PA. Ice loves to cling to and weigh down evergreen trees in particular and the soft wood is prone to weight damage. A couple of these storms were followed by pretty heavy winds as well.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that all you saw was damage caused by the weight of ice. We have a couple pine trees here in the back yard that sound exactly like what you describe and they were broken under the extra weight and wind. Winds are generally stronger in the tunnels that pipelines form.

Not bears.........just some garden variety weather. ;)

mikepsu54 02-26-2008 05:44 PM

could have been a YETI?

sproulman 02-26-2008 08:59 PM

my brother stopped tonight to see me .
he said while scouting before gun season this year in hyner.
he saw the same thing that i did,trees ripped right out of ground and PULLED OVER .

he said that there was teeth marks on the trees.

he saw tubes with trees in,he thought they were shot with shotgun pellets,he looked closer and it was teeth marks.

he had hunted this area 2 weeks before in grouse season and not 1 tube or pine tree was damaged.

i am not being critical to your idea,weather was bad and it was something i never saw in my life in woods..

its funny, all pine trees were pulled down and broke on 1 SIDE of pipeline, on the other side not 1 pine tree was damaged..

i did see were something ate the bark off the limbs that were broke off and some the needles were eaten,but maybe that was done after trees were down?

but after talking to DCNR boys about at least 5,000 trees were destroyed by bears in hyner area alone,it makes you wonder what is going on.

bears now eating trees and killing fawns,oh my!

bronko22000 02-28-2008 12:36 PM

I haven't seen them do this to pine trees. But this past fall during archery season a bear had just about every sassafras tree pulled over to eat the little red fruit on them. It was like walking through a tunnel.