Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 COULD BEAR DO THIS? >

COULD BEAR DO THIS?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

COULD BEAR DO THIS?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: COULD BEAR DO THIS?

Bears should be hibernating. Sounds like ice/snow clinging to tree limbs weighing them down bigtime. I'm with Matt on this one...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I haven't seen them do this to pine trees. But this past fall during archery season a bear had just about every sassafras tree pulled over to eat the little red fruit on them. It was like walking through a tunnel.
i saw that also too but dont know name of those trees.
its ones with those little red berries on.
in between the pine trees there are those 10 ft high trees with berries on.

those also were bro about 8 ft up from the bottom an chew marks all over.

this was done about 2 weeks ago, i was out putting corn in feeders for deer..

i cant believe damage i saw and i did find the bear in his den,my dog tried to dig him out.
he does go in/out of den too,it must be the warm weather on/off has him all messed up on when to wake up.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougMD

Bears should be hibernating. Sounds like ice/snow clinging to tree limbs weighing them down bigtime. I'm with Matt on this one...
I tend to agree, DougMD, but Sproul said twice that roots were sticking out of the ground. I can't remember ever seeing ice and snow do that. Break branches off and even snap the trunks of trees that size, yes. But expose roots? I'm more in the favor of some high-velocity winds. Perhaps the two factors in combination-----ice & snow plus high winds....That I could believe.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

could be,dougmd, but the berries trees which are about 3 inchs round and 10 ft highwere also bro and i cant figure how snow would sit on those limbs,i guess if tree froze,

i dont disagree with you or matt also,maybe bear or deer then ate trees after they were on ground..

i found no deer tracks deer this area only 1 set of bear tracks AFTER the damage was done.

something ate bark of limbsand most of needles in top 3 ft of all the trees that were down, and pulled the limbs from trees.

i never saw deer ever do this after tree was on its side but i guess maybe a deer could do it..

as for bears out in winter, oh yes, MALES will stay out..

we have one, a bigone at all camps in kettle creek area,he goes from camp to camp.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmm? Good point on the roots. Thatdoesn't indicateice and snow. I don't know then. My thoughts were bears would hibernate when they get less food then the energy they have to expend to get it. If they got so hungry as to tear down trees, they'd probably already be laid up for the winter. Interesting...

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmm? Good point on the roots. Thatdoesn't indicateice and snow. I don't know then. My thoughts were bears would hibernate when they get less food then the energy they have to expend to get it. If they got so hungry as to tear down trees, they'd probably already be laid up for the winter. Interesting...

strange,for sure.
yes, roots are sticking out.

what is mind boggling is the trees that were pulled out and eaten in those yellow tubes for miles on pipelines.
DCNR when i asked if they knew what happened said,SPROUL DIDNT YOU SEE ALL DAMAGE DONE TO THOSE TREES WE PLANTED ON PIPELINES..
i said, no.

they said THOUSANDS of trees are pulled over or pulled right out of ground and tubes are eaten that surrounded the trees.

my brother thought the tubes were shot by kids playing around with shotguns but when he looked, he saw teeth marks all over tubes..

i have not got out to hyner,pa. pipelines yet do to slippery rds to see this myself..

dcnr said 4 summers of hard work planting trees and they are all destroyed by BEARS.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the problem with planting apples trees in bear country, they'll destroy them as soon as they grow apples the first time.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

getting off this a little,i had a 500 pd bear coming into my treestand this year in archery season.
he had 2 tags in his ear ,1 was yellow ,other was red.

can you believe no one has got him.

i called the PGC and asked if any with 2 tags in 1 ear were turned in and they said no.

these old male bears are really a slippery one to get in bear season.

that bear is back still out wandering around camps ,he travels, i bet at least 10 miles covering all camps in area.

you can put your hand in his track with no problem and not touch the toes.

i see you are from md,i used to get some of the biggest bucks from OLNEY,MD. it was montgomery county.i hunted bucks a lot then and traveled all over.

there was a catholic convenant there,i saw 1 time 100 deer in field and 34 were bucks.

i saw 12 point that i believe was state record at that time,1974,i hunted right next to there..
i bet that catholic place is gone now,i heard all land there is being sold for homes and sharpshooters are killing of what deer are left.very sad.[:@]
Old 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, monkey county is a liberal haven nowadays. I'm between Baltimore and Annapolis, in a relatively rural area, Gambrills near Crofton...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug...Used to pass thru your area when we went to O.C. for a week or two years ago. This old hillbilly was lost without some hills to see....

Quick Reply: COULD BEAR DO THIS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.