HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   N.Y.-update-buddy ticketed for son's deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/23410-n-y-update-buddy-ticketed-sons-deer.html)

Warren 02-11-2003 11:42 AM

N.Y.-update-buddy ticketed for son's deer

last Nov. I told you about my co-worker transporting his son's deer without the proper consignment. His son shot the doe on opening day and left camp the next day to go back to work. On Wednesday my co-worker and 2 others drove home and were stopped at a deer check. The guy's son propery filled out the doe tag and then signed the bottom thinking he was giving his dad permission to transport the deer home. The D.E.C. officer said that they needed an additional tag from the son giving the father permission. So he ticketed the father.
Well in court my co-worker explained his case and also said that he was not the owner nor the driver of the vehicle that was transporting the deer. It was his brother-in-law who was the driver and owner. The DEC officer asked the judge to pospone the case because it seems that he ticketed the wrong person. My co-worker did not want to drag his brother-in-law into this so he asked to talk to the officer. They came to an agreement and the co-worker pled guilty and his hunting and fishing license was put on probation for 5 years. If they charged the brother-in-law I think he would have been fined $250.
Make sure you read the rule book.

model722 02-11-2003 01:46 PM

RE: N.Y.-update-buddy ticketed for son's deer

Warren I remember the post from Nov. sorry to hear they put his lic. on probation, I quess it could have been worse.

rem700man 02-12-2003 03:00 AM

TOO MANY LAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cardeer 02-12-2003 06:03 AM

Picky,Picky

nyorange 02-13-2003 06:42 PM

RE: N.Y.-update-buddy ticketed for son' s deer

They got a bum deal. Once the officer admitted he ticketed the wrong person the case should have been dropped. What kind of justice was served? Gave a guy a conviction/probation and he committed no crime. If you had a lawyer the case probably would have been dismissed. Once the trial starts thats it, no do overs. Little thing called double jeopardy. Imagine if the defendant asked to " postpone" the trial. The only thing that was saved here was the officers record on getting convictions, he now gets to keep the notch on his belt by having a knowingly innocent man plead guilty. How the judge allowed that to happen is beyond reason. Guess justice is not only blind, but deaf, dumb and on someones payroll. Best of luck to them in the future.

Warren 02-15-2003 03:07 PM

I didn' t post this to put blame on the DEC officer. I just wanted other hunters to be aware of the rules for transporting a deer in N.Y.. My buddy got off easy, I know another guy that had a similar situation about 10 years ago and lost his license for 5 years and was fines $500. From what I have been told, my co-worker and his hunting buddies have violated many hunting rules in pasted years without getting caught. This ticket may help keep the group more in line in the future.

huntal 02-22-2003 11:16 PM

WE HAVE HAD SOME TROUBLE IN THE PAST TRANSPORTING DEER, AND EVEN HAD THE BUCTHER LOSE ARE TAG. BUT THE FINE WAS $25 BUCKS, NO LOSE OF LIC. NOW WE GET WRITTEN PERMISSION WITH LIC # AND SIGNATURES.
HAPPY HUNTING

cyclone 02-25-2003 07:32 AM

Your buddy messed up! He should have asked the judge to dismiss immediately! He let the warded sucker the other guy in by allowing a continuance. You have rights when in a court, believe it or not.

dafooge 02-25-2003 02:54 PM

[X(]warren, you seem to be alright with the way the people involved got pluked, the minute you start being complesent with b.s. tickets and not standing up for yourself, is the time you lay down and let the dec run you over like road kill. you and your hunting group should read up on game laws and become aware of your rights.[:-]