Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 COUGARS ARE HERE >

COUGARS ARE HERE

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

COUGARS ARE HERE

Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: COUGARS ARE HERE

Butch - of course you have photo's of some of this.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: butch910

Near our camp,located in Hamilton County a dead deer was found 40 feet up a tree. All of a sudden the deer were hanging out in town. What else could cause that ???? Last year we had a wolf run across road in front of us. This year we counted 7 moose on our land. There are no fences around state borders.
Mountin lions do not put their kill up in trees. That is a charactoristic of the African Leopard. Did you see this deer 40 feet up?

There are lots of reasons the deer could bearound town.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:04 PM

Pics of the moose yes as soon as i get them will post. Wolf no was at night. Deer in tree was told by trooper didnt see it. Was also in local newspaper.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moose have wandered thru - there is a small pop in the Adirondacks.

More the a little hard to identify a wolf from a coyote, dog etc running by at night.

Deer in tree the same 2nd(3rd, 4th 5th .....)hand story all NY reports are.

Steve
Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also saw WOLF on rt144 near snowshoe,pa.centre county
he was a long one with a real long tail,longer than the coyotes we get,we got 12 coyotes as of end of jan here in clinton county,wmu2g.

that wolf i would say went 80 pds..

it was rusty color.it was HUGE.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

he was a long one with a real long tail,longer than the coyotes we get,we got 12 coyotes as of end of jan here in clinton county,wmu2g.

LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS!
OH MY!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

....... UNBELIEVEABLE !!!!......
Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I realize the thread was started concerning mountain lions, but talk of wolves caught my eye.

I took part in a deer drive just outside of Attica, ny, in 1977. Anyone familiar with that area & that year knows it was one of the harshest, coldest, falls/winters on record. One hunter fired a shot, claiming to miss a deer. Only several weeks later did I find out that the hunter took a beautiful timber wolf, thinking it was a large coyote.

It is believed that it crossed down from Canada over frozen Great lakes. That same winter, one was darted in Grand Island and released.

I saw the wolf pelt mentioned above. It was tanned by the hunter, who also was a trapper. Checked around at first to get a full body mount, until he was told about the 10,000$ fine that would come with it. To this day, the pelt hangs on his basement wall. It's huge, beautiful.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a bear hunt in Alberta a number of years ago, one of the hunters in camp shot a wolf. It was estimated at about 130 lbs., if I remember correctly. Long way from the 80 lbs. Sproul reports. Must have been a long, hard journey down here....
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

On a bear hunt in Alberta a number of years ago, one of the hunters in camp shot a wolf. It was estimated at about 130 lbs., if I remember correctly. Long way from the 80 lbs. Sproul reports. Must have been a long, hard journey down here....
the coyotes we got ,12 this year none were over 47 pds, so, when i stopped in road on rt 144 near panther run rd.i climbed up in bed of my truck, thats when WOLF turned around about 35 yards off road and i got a good look.

so, it may have weighted more than 80 pds but i was taking that 47 pd coyote and doubling it.

my dog is 81 pds and that wolf was a lot longer.so yes, it could have been way over 80 pds,i dont know..

i know this, it was rusty red color.it was real LONG.......

a little off topic, my friends are grouping together and will come to your area and hunt down the coyotes for you.

if anyone is interested, PM me and i will give you phone number to call.

Quick Reply: COUGARS ARE HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.