HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Tonawanda/Lockport NY areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/232202-tonawanda-lockport-ny-areas.html)

eng40sqd 02-12-2008 09:12 PM

Tonawanda/Lockport NY areas

Hello all....

I know it is a bit out of my back yard but I am curious about the above mentioned and surrounding areas.

I was up in the area for the second time in my life this past weekend and while I did not see any huge amounts of deer I did see a few which leads me to my questions.

What is the hunting like in general in the area? What kind of bow hunting and gun hunting, meaning what is the deer movement like?

I am intersted in maybe trying to find a place to hunt a little bit up there. I have future inlaws whom live in those areas so I have a place to stay and after seeing the area I am excited about maybe getting some hunting in up there...

So is there anyone in the area who could throw some NY pointers my way? Heck maybe even a tree to hang in a few times this upcoming season.. in return I have some trees down here in va that I would share..

Thanks
Justin

eng40sqd 02-14-2008 01:44 PM

RE: Tonawanda/Lockport NY areas

[&o]I guess there is no one that hunts around those areas on here.. go figure, I thought that with as many members as we have on that every county in the U.S was represented and then some LOL oh well...

hunterdusty 02-14-2008 07:34 PM

check out Grand Island, Ny I live on the island, tonnnssssss of deer, i killed a 7 pointer this year, and two doe last year. There are powerlines and pipelines that run across the whole island allowing for public hunting. Fair amount of hunting pressure, drives are most effective, but spot and stalk, as well as sitting works fine to....

Phade 02-15-2008 05:29 AM

Lockport is known to have some very nice bucks harvested each season. I am a hour or so ese of there, but I'd be happy to take you out on a bowhunt or two. Hunted in VA several years....nice, but nothing of the quality up here.

nybowhunter 02-16-2008 05:53 AM

I live in N Tonawanda and Ihunted in Wheatfield before the housing boom. Although there aren't a large quantity of deer in Niagara County, the bucks are huge. One of the biggest wood lots in the area is between Shawnee road and Nash Road, north of the boulevard. The owner of Doc's Archery in NT got a huge buck a few years back out of that lot. Most of it is private land and it is posted. Check out Newfane.There are a lot of apple farms up there and the some of the farmers allow hunting on their property. Also, Alabama swamps is just east of Lockport. There are a lot of deerand it is public land.

dszymo 02-16-2008 07:53 AM

I would check out chautauqua and cattargus counties. a short drive form your in laws with much more wooded land.

MIKECC 02-25-2008 07:35 PM

eng40sqd i would have to to agree with dszymo go to the southerntier, there are a lot more deer. there are some bruisers iin lock. grand island is alot closer there are also a lot of deer. good luck