Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 West Virginia spring turkey season >

West Virginia spring turkey season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

West Virginia spring turkey season

Old 02-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default West Virginia spring turkey season

Just an FYI, WVs spring turkey season opens a week later than usual 4/28 to be exact. Kinda messes up my PA season ugh.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: West Virginia spring turkey season

Wow!I've heard it comes in too late as it is before the pushback!
Old 02-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard it comes in too late as it is before the pushback!
Whats a pushback?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will never understand WV and the way they do the seasons. Turkey season has always been too late here as it was
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, I don't think it's late...It has always been the last Monday in April, hasn't it? Maybe I'm wrong.

I have 400+ acres that I own...crawiling with turkeys...and the last 2 years I haven't even hunted them. We went 3 consecutive years without having a bird answer the call. We killed birds every year...by intercepting them...but no calling. To me, if they're not gobbling and I just have to wait for them to saunter through...I'll save my license money and buy a Butterball.

My buddies and I aren't novice turkey hunters. We've called and whacked birds consistently elsewhere, but these birds WILL NOT answer a call. We've had a few come in silent, but as late as the season is, they are simply henned up.

Hell, I live in Ohio...we're a week or two behind WV when it comes to animal activity, and our season opens the 21st of April.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

PA's has been the last saturday in april and WVs has always been the previous monday, doesnt make much sense for a biological stand point for a state south of PA to open their season later than PAs. I really baffled as to what the reasoning is.

Ive actually been really lucky (knock on wood) when it comes to turkey hunting in WV, heck last year I called in 4 long beards together, that gobbled their heads off for 3 hours.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

By "pushed back," I meant the week delay relative to prior years. Then again, it IS about when it's come in before, as Al says.

I never have enough turkeys on my property to make hunting them worthwhile. A few years ago, I heard several gobble, but since then, I haven't heard any and wonder why there aren't more around.I hunted with a buddy who owns near Wardensville, and we heard some, but couldn't call one in. He is a good turkey hunter, always calling in and killing birds in Southern Maryland. But the WV turkeys are TOUGH to hunt. He spent a week there last year and had some close calls, but didn't get one. He usually calls sparingly, butgot to the point where he didn't even call at all.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted here in WV since the inception of spring season in 1975 (I think) and most years the start date is too late, IMO. Most of the time the birds are starting to wind down hence the less gobbling. I like VA's season which starts in early April. It was bad last year because of the late spring but most years the VA start date is about right. A lot depends on the weather no matter what date they set as a start date.

Jim
Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pressure baby... Doesent 90% of WV poach
Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on the weather ,but it does start to late and they should let you hunt all dayour state is all about the money dont care what anyone saysits dang shame when out of staters mean more than locals

Quick Reply: West Virginia spring turkey season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.