Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York antler restrictions >

New York antler restrictions

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York antler restrictions

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New York antler restrictions

we like the AR here in wmu2g of pa. where i hunt BUT hunters are not letting it work ..

kids now from diapers to 16 can kill a small buckand not have to look at 3 point to side..

adults are using the kids tags to shoot ANY BUCK,they dont even look, its brown its down with kids tag...

the bucks we are LEGALLY getting with 3 points are very healthy deer,so we like the restriction very much BUT dont like what we are hearing hunters are doing with kids tags..

this should stop and only KID age 12 can kill a buck without 3 points to side his or her first year..

this wouldreduce the amount of small bucks that are shot to get mature and slow down the BROWN ITS DOWN WITH KIDS TAG hunters....
Old 01-17-2008, 05:06 AM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

we like the AR here in wmu2g of pa. where i hunt BUT hunters are not letting it work ..

kids now from diapers to 16 can kill a small buckand not have to look at 3 point to side..

adults are using the kids tags to shoot ANY BUCK,they dont even look, its brown its down with kids tag...

the bucks we are LEGALLY getting with 3 points are very healthy deer,so we like the restriction very much BUT dont like what we are hearing hunters are doing with kids tags..

this should stop and only KID age 12 can kill a buck without 3 points to side his or her first year..

this wouldreduce the amount of small bucks that are shot to get mature and slow down the BROWN ITS DOWN WITH KIDS TAG hunters....
That's a shame that people abuse the system like that. I can totally understand your frustration. What is the actual legal age a kid must be to get a tag?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, take this with a grain of salt. While there will always be the type of slimeball that would take advantage of a kid, this is not a real problem in PA. It's a real problem only in the imagination of the poster who feels the need to hijack almost any thread to get on this little soapbox about this imaginary problem.

To get back on topic, You all must have seen the controversy over PA's antler restrictions. It hasnt worked perfectly, but it certainly has improved the age class and therefore quality of our bucks overall. AR's arent QDM. But in a state like ours, and yours, with the hunting pressure the deer have to deal with, it will cause an improvement in the average age and therefore the antler quality of your bucks.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

To get back on topic, You all must have seen the controversy over PA's antler restrictions. It hasnt worked perfectly, but it certainly has improved the age class and therefore quality of our bucks overall. AR's arent QDM. But in a state like ours, and yours, with the hunting pressure the deer have to deal with, it will cause an improvement in the average age and therefore the antler quality of your bucks.
As you say, AR's probably improve antler size due to letting bucks live an extra year or two. No one will convince me that there are ANY other benefits to the herd in general. Whether a buck gets shot at 1 1/2, 2 1/2, or any other age makes NO difference in controlling deer numbers which is why deer hunting seasons are established in the first place. Any AR restrictions that are put in effect are solely to make the hunters who value antlers happy and give them some hope that they will one day shoot a big buck since they apparently can't kill one otherwise. There is absolutely NO other value to them in my opinion. If hunters would just get this horn mentality out of their heads they might enjoy the outdoors a whole lot more and be complaining a whole lot less!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 AM
jf5

[Read the rest of my thread.

but one liners don't make/support a point - [/quote]

I think your missing it. My one liner is right to the point, that AR's are not trophy mgt. Thats it.

I have no point to make about AR's in NY or any other state. And I don;t want to define shooter for anyone. Legal deeris all I care about...good luck out there..
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

If hunters would just get this horn mentality out of their heads they might enjoy the outdoors a whole lot more and be complaining a whole lot less!
Well your looking no better then what your complaining about with that statement. Who are you to determine how a person gets enjoyment from their hunt. If I choose to horn hunt as long as it doesn't effect your hunting why should you care. If I let bucks walk it extends my season, if I don't get one because of that well that leaves another buck in the woods to sutvive another year.

If I decided to shoot the first bick I got a chance at I'd be done buck hunting pretty quick every year. I enjoy seeing deer and want to shoot mature bucks, because I shot alot of 1.5 yr olds and ot's not that much of a challenge, but I'm not asking anyone to hunt my way. However I do see the herd being out of whack according to what nature intended. I think we should strive for the same birth ratio buck to doe that you see nature trying to acheive.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: outdoorstom

That's a shame that people abuse the system like that. I can totally understand your frustration. What is the actual legal age a kid must be to get a tag?

i will PM you do to a STALKER on here that spends his time following me from post to post..
he hunts privateland,has motive and is guide..
if you are interested in what happens on privateland,he is your boy!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

As usual Sproulman goes

handle your soap opera witha PM would ya?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well your looking no better then what your complaining about with that statement. Who are you to determine how a person gets enjoyment from their hunt. If I choose to horn hunt as long as it doesn't effect your hunting why should you care.
I will not deny that I am not a fan of trophy hunting by any stretch, but I could care less what someone else wants to shoot or doesn't want to shoot and was not complaining about this. I have hunted long enough to see many ugly sides of hunting. In just about all the cases I witnessed it revolved around the almighty big rack. Be it the jealousy, the poaching, outfitters who rip hunters off, hunters who get p*ssed when the trophy doesn't measure up, the hunter who gets p*ssed when a big racked buck walked off his lease with all the food plots and got shot by the neighbors, etc. At the same time I have NO doubt that plenty of meat hunters have pulled their share of shananigans also knowing what hunters are capable of. I realize that different people hunt for different reasons, but I think it would do everyone good (most especially the people who somehow think horns are everything and the only thing good about hunting) if people were just grateful for anything they were lucky enough to shoot and for the remaining natural world we still have left. Everything else is really insignificant any which way you look at it in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good point.