Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 No Hunting-Baited area-PGC signs >

No Hunting-Baited area-PGC signs

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No Hunting-Baited area-PGC signs

Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No Hunting-Baited area-PGC signs

Noticed on our way in and out of camp this weekend that the Pa. Game Commission has posted about a 1.5 mi. stretch of 4-Mile Road behind S.B. Elliot State Park in Moshannon State Forest, Clearfield Co., PA., with signs and ribbons around trees on the left side of the road only as you head into the forest that state "No Hunting-Baited Area-PA. Game Commission".
I guess it's pretty clear there is to be no hunting in this area, but does anyone know why, and what has caused this?? It starts just below Crystal Springs Rd. and stops just above the Thunderbird Camp. Was someone caught baiting? It's the left side of the road only. Really curious..... Don.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Hunting-Baited area-PGC signs

they most likely found a baited area and closed it down for at least 30 days.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 AM

Is that part of the land that is part of the Punxsy Hunting Camp?

Maybe someone baited it on purpose - so they would shut down the hunting there for 30 days.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM

I haven't been up to deer camp in six or seven years now but baiting was always a concern. I've been up there bear hunting and found empty jugs of fish emulsion that is normally used in gardening. I always found bear scat that looked like grits, only darker of coarse.[ no corn fields in the valley]. In deer season you would find unfinishedcobs of corn up on the mountain. My family used to joke thatthe game commission could shut the whole valley down if they wanted to. Maybe not sucha joke.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Rifleman.....No, it's before you get to the Punxy Club by about 2-2 1/2 miles. That's where I would have suspected it may be, but it's not the case. Sure am curious as to who the guilty party(s) may be... As for bear scat with corn in it, it's awlful hard to keep turkey feeders intact during permitted feeding times up in that country due to bear damage, but I do agree with those who have said it is not uncommon to see blatant evidence of enticement some places.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 PM

If you were one of them kind hearted people that likes to see deer, and went up there with a couple of bags of corn, dumped it on the ground and left and then came back everyday to see how many deer you could see, that would be one thing.

If you were a hunter that figured that there was still something around up there and wanted an easy one and dumped a couple of bags of corn on the ground and came back every day - then you are a poacher.

If you were an anti hunter that didn't want anyone to shoot your deer, and went up and threw a couple of bags of corn on the ground and then called the Game Warden and reported that someone was baiting up there - then you just got rid of the other hunters for the rest of muzzleloader season.

That lady game warden up there is like Barney Fife, one bullet for her gun and she is always ready to shoot it!
Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

If you were one of them kind hearted people that likes to see deer, and went up there with a couple of bags of corn, dumped it on the ground and left and then came back everyday to see how many deer you could see, that would be one thing.

If you were a hunter that figured that there was still something around up there and wanted an easy one and dumped a couple of bags of corn on the ground and came back every day - then you are a poacher.

If you were an anti hunter that didn't want anyone to shoot your deer, and went up and threw a couple of bags of corn on the ground and then called the Game Warden and reported that someone was baiting up there - then you just got rid of the other hunters for the rest of muzzleloader season.

That lady game warden up there is like Barney Fife, one bullet for her gun and she is always ready to shoot it!
Give me a break GomerDo you really think you could do a better job? That is if you DO HAVE a job[>:]
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM

They did that to an area we used to hunt thats in the same general are but in Centre County. It has been shut down for 3 years now and has 2 more before anyone is allowed ot hunt it. It was the second time they were caught baiting there. The worst part is the Game Warden lives about 2 miles from where they got caught.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM

They did that to an area we used to hunt thats in the same general are but in Centre County. It has been shut down for 3 years now and has 2 more before anyone is allowed ot hunt it. It was the second time they were caught baiting there. The worst part is the Game Warden lives about 2 miles from where they got caught.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

Guess I never gave it a thought about a trick pulled by the anti's..... but then again, it seems a little late in the season for that scenario to me. Just seems like someone got caught baiting, or was set up by someone else and then the WCO was called....Sure could ruin a guy's hunting area for awhile, couldn't it?

Quick Reply: No Hunting-Baited area-PGC signs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.