Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 broken mathews, almost fall to his death >

broken mathews, almost fall to his death

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

broken mathews, almost fall to his death

Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default broken mathews, almost fall to his death

bow season is over for my bud ,
he was hunting today in maryland 30 ft up in a tree ,
when he had a doe come in on him she turned broadside at 20 yards he drew his bow back and pop the string blew smaking him in the ear and head he droped the bow knocking the climing part of his stand down to the platform part almost falling he grabed the seat and barely hung on the edge of his stand after pulling his self back up to a standing position he realized he had no saftey harness and was very close to falling ,
when he got down he found his bow string snapped and the bottom cam bent like a bike tire in a car accident ,

he has been hunting for a long time,
let this be a lesson to us all , no matter how good you are, how long you have been hunting , wear your damn saftey strap[

dr kill
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: broken mathews, almost fall to his death

glad to hear your buddy made it back home safely,,but ,,,i have to admit,,,i hate wearing and very seldom do wear a safety harness,,,mostly in the evenings when i get off work in archery season,,,and it's still warm,,,,those are the times i feel most likely to fall and wear the damn thing
Old 01-10-2008, 05:37 PM

I'm glad your buddy is O.K. I was in the stand tonight thinking I should start wearing a vest and after reading this there is no question, I'll get one.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the heads up. I always wore the old black waist belts that came with all the older lock on stands. This year I got a summit climber and had to watch the video to get it put together properly. The part about climbing safety using aharness and safety strap all the way up and down was an eye opener. I won't use the old system anymore and will probably get a Hunters Safety System vest and use that along with the 2 harnesses with lineman’s belt I now have. Statistically 1 in 4 hunters will fall sometime in their hunting life. Not good odds and everyone needs to think about that. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 AM

i would never go in a stand w/o one...no one should! I'm glad your friend is ok tho and hopefully he'll remember each time to wear it.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Two important lessons here.....

1 Always wear a safety harness

2 Dump that Matthews and Buy a Ross!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

been up trees for 40 years and no problems..
i dont use my waist belt until i get set in tree.
i always use it as you can lean out from tree more..

i dont use harness, i think its to much to have on,waist belt in my opinion is all you need..

i see hunters with nothing on it their stands,they are taking big risk..

i pull my waist belt tight against tree when sitting and i take nap sometimes,then after waking up, i loosen it up so i can move around..

never fell out and slept many times..

goint to 30 ft is crazy..
i hunt no higher than 15 ft and most times, around 12 ft..

why hunters would get that high is beyond me.
i killed my buck this year on ladder stand at 12 ft,he walked 10 yds from me and that stand was put up 3 days before regular gun season..
he did not smell me or notice stand,so why get that high in air..........
Old 01-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

been up trees for 40 years and no problems..
i dont use my waist belt until i get set in tree.
i always use it as you can lean out from tree more..

i dont use harness, i think its to much to have on,waist belt in my opinion is all you need..

i see hunters with nothing on it their stands,they are taking big risk..

i pull my waist belt tight against tree when sitting and i take nap sometimes,then after waking up, i loosen it up so i can move around..

never fell out and slept many times..

goint to 30 ft is crazy..
i hunt no higher than 15 ft and most times, around 12 ft..

why hunters would get that high is beyond me.
i killed my buck this year on ladder stand at 12 ft,he walked 10 yds from me and that stand was put up 3 days before regular gun season..
he did not smell me or notice stand,so why get that high in air..........
I pretty much thought the same way you do until I saw the summit video. Believe me it is worth seeing just to open your mind about the inherent dangers of a waist belt. It doesn't matter how high you are. If you did fall with the right conditions you could have a difficult time with the waist belt.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:10 AM
bigcountry

Man, what is wrong with people today refusing to wear one. I just don't get it. I am glad he is ok. But he is a first rate idiot, I hope he knows. My hunting buddy won't wear one, I know sooner or later, he will have a fall. I keep telling him these stories, but he never was the sharpest knife in the draw.

The statistics are fightening. At least 30% of all hunters who use stands will fall out in thier life, and out of that 30%, 8-10% will have crippling injuries reported by Field and Stream.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I disagree that 30 feet or 12 feet makesmuch difference. I remember reading in a hunting mag a while back that the velocity with which you hit is not much different between 12 feet and 30 feet. The average height for fatal falls is 16 feet

Waist belts make little more sense than going without. Due to the weight distribution of the human body, a waist belt wil cause you to hang upside down if you dont just slip out of it. There is no substitute for a good 4 point harness or a vest

Quick Reply: broken mathews, almost fall to his death

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.