HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Coyote hunting in ny? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/226300-coyote-hunting-ny.html)

bigwhitetailbuck 01-08-2008 03:36 PM

Coyote hunting in ny?

Who on here coyote hunts in ny? I bought property up in herkimer county/ central nyand was wondering who hunts coyote hunts in that area? Whats their population like? Any pics? Is it a good area to hunt them?
Thanks
mike

Mission 01-08-2008 05:18 PM

RE: Coyote hunting in ny?

Where abouts in Herkimer county? Looking to hunt with hounds or call? I hunted coyotes for 10 years with hounds in Lewis , Jefferson and St.Lawrence county. I would have to say that most coyotes killed this time of year are with hounds bhind them. I havent had much luck with calling them in my area but I do know it workes in southern NY.

NiceAndBlue 01-08-2008 05:52 PM

We have a pretty good population of them in chenango county. My first time going out I called one in at around 2pm in like 5 minutes. I missed him tho :(. Haven't had any success yet and that was 2 seasons ago. I hear them howl and bark all the time. I had one barking/yelping at me like 30 yards away in total darkness during bow season. freaked me out.

anywho, definately give it a try you most likely have coyotes in that area.

bigwhitetailbuck 01-08-2008 05:54 PM

I would not be using hounds because i dont have any but using handheld and electronic calls.... why would you not have any luck with calls.... how many times did you try using a call?

bigwhitetailbuck 01-08-2008 05:56 PM

oh yah, im in schylerny and it is one of the highest points in the county. Its across from an airforce radar testing place where there is a jet up on a giant pole....The piece we bought is 70 acres and was part of an 5000 acre estate.

Mission 01-09-2008 08:11 AM

Tried Electronic calls ( didnt have much of a slection for sounds) and didnt have much luck.Really isnt fair to say it didnt workbecause i didnt put my heart in it. At the time hounds were what i was using to kill them. If I would get back into coyote hunting i would defineatly use calls now days, I would check the back roads for tracks ang try to find a good population and start from there. One person that i had contact with in the past ( DEC officer) called mainly at night. He told me it took him a couple of season to find the right sounds ( tapes) and when he did he started getting animals in some numbers. He would get in the remote country and walk thr KV power lines at night for miles calling all the way. If I remember he would get 10 to 15 coyotes a cat or two and some red foxes each season....

A6A6 02-04-2008 09:55 AM

Im also looking in NY... Mainly catskills... If i find spot , ill let ya knoe