Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mass Bucks

Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
jf5

Default RE: Mass Bucks

Gerat deer there WMH....you saw my 2005 buck already on the other thread. The rest of my MA deer pics I do not have scanned, but they where taken years ago.

I like your pics especially, since you hunt west MA like me.

My buddy did take a small 6pt and a doe in Richmond, MA in 2002, and a BB in 2003. But sorry, no digi pics.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gotta love seeing any MA deer pics... esp. Western...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM

question about western mass hunting... why is the deer population lower in western mass??? i would think it would be higher than "back east".

any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: ntcbassman

question about western mass hunting... why is the deer population lower in western mass??? i would think it would be higher than "back east".

any thoughts?
My opinion, habitat is the biggest problem. Less and less farms and edge coverout west and the forests just get more and more mature. There is some logging going on in some areas so that will help. But most public lands, epsecially state parksare past prime deer habitat, so deerdesnities get lower.

Winters are also allot harsher than compared to eastern MA. Colder and longer, plus more snow usually. And if there is no browse near the yarding areas that cuts them down. Add crust to the deep snow and you geta coyote feed fest.

Its funny too..back in the day most deer hunters drove west to hunt the Berks or CT river valley. You had a hard time getting a hotel room the night before opening day of gun season! Not anymore...

there are still some great areas with good amounts of deer, especially in zone 3, but allot of it is private.

East, MAhas allot of edge cover and milder winters. Really helps with deer density. problem is getting a sizable area to gun hunt that isn't pounded.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 AM

sounds logicial. thanks jay
Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great points JF5... I also think that Easten MA got left alone for awhile when everyone was hunting out here.
Remember when there were rows of cars parked up on October & Beartown Mtn?!? It was a sea of orange.
Southern Berkshire has a great dee population, but the "city folk" have moved out and bought up and posted most of the land. It takes and act of congress to get permission ... or the "caretaker" hunts it.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

Great points JF5... I also think that Easten MA got left alone for awhile when everyone was hunting out here.
Remember when there were rows of cars parked up on October & Beartown Mtn?!? It was a sea of orange.

WMH is right. Eastern MA high densitydeer herd is relatively"new".

Ahh, the orange army days...remember them bigtime...we used to get up extra early to beat the other guys in. Forget scrapes and rubs. We would set up ambush points on escape routesheading into swamp or towards posted lands and get them. By 11am openign day...if you didn't have your deer down, your chancesdeclinedgreatly. I gotthree deer in my first four seasons that way.

But all that said, I loke it better now. So much less pressure...and I can hunt all season and have just as good a chnace as opening day. I can track and still hunt and see few other hunters...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: Spysar

ORIGINAL: bbahunter

Eric,

That is a real nice buck, how much did he weigh in at?

He weighed 185lbs dressed, at the Hubbard Ave check in. He may have weighed more in Nov, he looked a little rutted.
yeah, thats a mature deer. Well done..not easy to hunt Savoy
Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Great deer pics everyone and i like the attitude that they are all trophys. I'm originally from Upstate NY (south of Utica) and i have moved to Springfield MA to attend law school. I would love to find a place fairly close to springfield to hunt. I usually go home on weekends once the season rolls around but going back and forth kills me on gas and as a student i'm perpetually broke haha. There was a hunting club near by that i was thinking about joining but it was like 100 bucks a year for membership which was a little pricey for me. Anyways i just wanted to say nice pics and any suggestions are welcome and appreciated
Old 01-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Gmil,

You could try the WMA's for a start. I live just outside of Springfield and I tend to hunt the WMA's and Connecticut. Here is the link:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwlnd.htm#ACQ

Bob

Quick Reply: Mass Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.