Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Log homes (pics page 2) >

Log homes (pics page 2)

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Log homes (pics page 2)

Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Log homes

If you want no (low) maintenance, go with frame construction.
Metal standing seam roof and hardi-plank cement lap siding.
Vinyl or aluminum clad windows.
Add a packet of fungus and mildew preventerto the best paint you can find.
You should be good for 20 years of doing nothing to it.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saxman,

I would look at a mobile home. Electric and plumbing are already done. If you sell the place you can take it with you.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM

If you just want a place to sleep and aren't talking about needing/wanting to be fashionalble . . . . .save your money and drag the old camping trailer out there. . . .then build a shed for all the crap that won't fit inside. . .

Kinda of rednecky but it works pretty good. . .
Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plus, when you are done using it someday you can just let the snow smash it flat and fugettaboutit.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is nothing like a log home. I lived in a plastic house (vinyl siding) and grew up with the want and love of log home living. You cannot duplicate it any other way. I built a Lincoln Log home.

Maintenance, no more or less than any other house. I stain my house every 5 years. I spray it on, don't you at least spray down a vinyl/aluminum sided house at least that?

I did all my own electrical but of course as the house was being erected, the holes were drilled for the electrical. It's all in the planing, it's not a nightmare, rather it was very easy with the proper planing.

Insulation, I don't know where some of you get your facts straight because my log home is R valued exactly the same as any conventional house, 6" construction and insulation. Windows/doors are no different if you know what your doing.

Resale? The value of my home exceeds that of stick built construction of the same home.

Insurance, I don't have issues with that. Insurance is what insurance is, you pay what you inure your value at. My insurance company does not segregate that my home is log vs stick. Log homes won't burn faster, in truth, they won't burn. Like a tree however they'll singe on the outside but the log will be intact. That's why my log stairs are what they are, fire rescued trees. The outside burns, the inside remains intact. Strenght, my house will stand when others will fall. Look at log homes that are 100's of years old and being restored. You cannot beat that construction.

Yes, they are more expensive than conventional homes, you get what you pay for. Again, my resale exceeds that of the same home in conventional construction. Supply and demand....I've had offers on my home on a regular bases. I log sided my garage and it's just not the same.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice house. That looks awesome!!! I'll add that to my list of goals.

Thanks for posting the pics!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Great looking log home, I hope to start building one within 10 years or so. I really like the Hochstetler floor plans in the back of most log home magazines, it's very similar to yours. I love a great big open space and a loft is to die for.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM

look up cypress log homes in Fla.....they have a one that comes all together ....you just have to have a slab down.....they are about 30,000.....perfect camp...just plug it in....
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 PM

we built a ward log home for my buddy,,,,,beautiful but alot of $$$$....His kit was $150,000....total came to 275,000 plus the land

you can look them up as well .....Ward log homes ...i think they are out of new hampshire
Old 12-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are a ton of log home manufacturers, Kuhn's Bro's are just down the road from me about a half hour. I still went with Lincoln Log out of upper New York, my dealer was www.jackandkay.com where my house is featured under Building a Log Home. http://www.jackandkay.com/building.html The standard floor plan is 28 X 44, mine is a custom at 28 X 50 and around 2200 sq ft.

Quick Reply: Log homes (pics page 2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.