Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 ATTENTION PA HUNTERS >

ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

ORIGINAL: DougE
Oak seedling need light so they come in and just thin the area to get some advanced regeneration occuring.

This might explain an area that i have talked about before where an ice storm a few years back knocked a lot of trees down and in this area, i have seen the most oak regeneration that ive ever seen in my life. Thanks Doug for all the info, it helps a lot. [/align]
Old 12-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

Around here,they actually are drawn to the sound of chainsaws and often start hitting the topswhile the loggers are still cutting.
So Doug let me guess when you hunt near cuts, you leave the grunt call at home and bring the chainsaw call w/ ya lol just kiddin man[/align]
Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It beats hunting an area where they come to the sound of pebbles rattling in a can.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Host of Hosts

So Doug let me guess when you hunt near cuts, you leave the grunt call at home and bring the chainsaw call w/ ya lol just kiddin man

OK don't give Primos and MAD calls any ideas. Next thing we know we'll be debating Grunt Tube VS Chainsaw call
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

A chainsaw call would sound neat.

I watched a show on tv where the deer were waiting in the woods for the loggers to leave.When they fired up the chainsaws the deer knew that meant dinner so they started moving in and waited right inside the woods till the coast was clear.I think it was Michigan.
I might try that next year.Hope I don't get shot.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:04 PM

my dad used to own a camp right down the road from this farm. a couple of years ago i hunted this game lands. i counted 45 cars on my drive in one sat. there were deer and shots flying everywhere. by the end of the two week season i was a nervous wreck. it was the worst hunting season i ever had, i didn't enjoy my time in the woods at all, and i have never been back ther since. i'm glad i'm out of the area after hearing this.

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Just remember, I saw at least a dozen people shoot deer and then not tag them. I saw at aleast 11 people road hunt a deer out of that group. I saw two people that shot spikes and then said either that they were senior citizens and didn't have to abide by the antler restrictions or that they had children under the age of 12 with them that shot the deer and that it was legal. Only I never saw the kids.

Isn't it amazing how the same guys who can't manage to see more than a deer or two all season all seem to have these stories about mass slaughter right under their noses

One farmer in my area shot over 120 deer in one year- next to the PA gamelands because he felt that they were cutting into his crop production.
I challenge you to name the farm, the locationand the adjoining game lands
The farm is owned by the London family and is located in a area know as Burkett Hollow.

Londons, Burketts and Horners are all neighbors and are all related by marriage. They all own hundreds of acres of land in that area.

The State Gamelands is known as 31, the road is called Harringer / Eterline road. Don't ask about the proper spelling.

The story was confirmed by the Jefferson County Adult Probation Officer - Larry Stratiff - you can call him over at the Jefferson County Courthouse and ask him if you wish.

There is a big difference between baiting - using food to entice a deer onto your property for the purpose of shooting it and hunting in the BIG WOODS.

None of their farms are posted and you are welcome to go there and hunt all you want - as long as you ask for permission.

The second day of rifle season I believe, there was afarmer waiting at the mailbox at the end oftheir lane and there was a doe standing at the mailbox on the other side of the road and there were a couple of does not 1/8 of a mile down the road from that mailbox. But you cannot shoot within 150 yards of any occupied house or building without the permission of the occupants. Which means you cannot hunt around the house.

Take 1575 acres and then figure the other 2000 acres of land around the game lands and divide that by 100 deer, that is only a deer density of about 1 deer per 375 acres - before the slaughter. Now you kill 100 deer and the woods looks pretty empty.

I saw plenty of deer on posted ground other placesright next to the game lands, just that you cannot get permission to hunt on that property, the deer are not dumb.

I believe that the name on one ofthe posted sign's was Brian Smith. There are as many Smiths in the Punxsy area as there are in all of Indiana County.

If they go in there and nobody bothers them, they can come and go as they please and will not go into the game lands unless pressured.

Would you go someplace where there is nothing for you to eat and hunters that will shoot at you if you go there? Neither will they!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

yes, you are right..

being i am out in woods more than most are,like 4 days all year i see and hear things that most dont..

i agree with you on the SGL hunting..
this land has best habitat in world, they do great job at it..
i stop and talk to land managers there all time..
years ago you would hear/see shooting like you described here.

it was NUTS..
i found deer that were not tagged many times because they shot so many by SAME hunter or crew..
it was MEAT hunting.

now, you can go there,you wont see deer.
best HABITAT in world..
same with squirrreals/grouse/rabbits, very few but best HABITAT in world..........

I WONDER WHY?

we hear some on here say,SPROUL IF YOU HAVE GREAT HABITAT YOU WILL HAVE LOTS OF FAWN RECURITEMENT..
1 is even a WCO ...........
he is RIGHT but is DEAD WRONG..........

you will never have anything to hunt if hunters kill fawns and overharvest doe like i am seeing in WMU 2G...

SGL land here in pa is a GREAT example...

here is favorite saying now.........

ITS BROWN ITS DOWN WITH A KIDS TAG..........
IF I DONT SHOOT FAWN ,SOMEONE ELSE WILL.......
I NEED DEER JERKY...........
DEER WILL STRAVE IF I DONT SHOOT ALL OF THEM........

not too many times do i hear this from us hunters,I LET FAWN OR DOE GO SO WE HAVE DEER FOR US AND KIDS FUTURE HUNTING.......
OH, I ONLY BOUGHT DOE TAG TO FEEL GOOD, I DONT USE IT..
SOME are telling truth on that but over HALF ,say that but use tag.................
I DID NOT SHOOT THAT SPIKE BUCK FOR MY KID ,thats great but most shoot the spike if kids are along.......

sadly,some always find way to get around SYSTEM..

without STRICT RULES and WCO checking US, i dont mind have WCO shake me down..
this is going to continue...

this year here in clinton county is first year i saw NO WCO ,none on patrol...
everyone knows this and you can bet lots of violations were commited,i guess you could call it NO FEAR!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 12:17 PM

good points sproulman... I can't stand how some hunters think... i was hunting western MD this year and I was buck hunting only... I was sitting near a creek and heard a shot from the other side soon after 3 does came running across the creek and one had its guts hanging out... I left them run by me and figured someone would cross the creek soon to track it.. no one ever came so i walked down the way they went and saw it laying there bedded down so I finished it off... I heard more shots later that day in the same area whether it was the same guy or not.. i'm not sure but you know as well as I do he probably was shooting at more if he saw them... there are just a lot of unethical hunters that don't give a rip and they will ultimately ruin it for the true hunters and sportsman. And back to PA game commission with how they are running our public hunting lands is not only hurting PA but it is hurting the states surrounding us. I know the hunters I talk to in Maryland are sick and tired of PA guys coming down.. because there deer population is starting to suffer and the woods are loaded with guys. I can't really talk because i travel to hunt maryland for bow hunting only.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

You are just fooling yourself to think that the hunters are doing all the damage. Farmers are allowed to kill as many as they need to - to keep the crop damage down. One farmer in my area shot over 120 deer in one year- next to the PA gamelands because he felt that they were cutting into his crop production.
i have a farmer friend that told me he was only allowed to kill 1 deer every 28 days year round, but had to give the PGC the hide before they got the next tag to use within the next28 days....did they change something within the last 2 years.................bob

Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Farmers can kill as many as they want.The PGC doesn't give them tags to kill for crop damage.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.