Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 ATTENTION PA HUNTERS >

ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

its good to see we have some on this topic that ARE SPORTSMAN.

as for other 2,well, in time maybe they will WAKE UP to what is happening.

its hard to not get THAT MEAT ,isnt it, douge..

dont despair,YOU ARE NOT ALONE,its like using drugs from what i see!you got to have it!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The density up at camp (2F)IS down. Thedensity at home is like two different worlds. If I was looking for meat, there is one placeI would spend my time, and another I wouldn't. But that's just me.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are a lot of people out there that just want to kill something. I have 3 doe tags and I don't even carry them with me. When I tell othere guys that there are a lot ofthem that respond by saying 'well if you don't shoot them - someone else will'. Its this mentality that is hard to change.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Just remember, I saw at least a dozen people shoot deer and then not tag them. I saw at aleast 11 people road hunt a deer out of that group. I saw two people that shot spikes and then said either that they were senior citizens and didn't have to abide by the antler restrictions or that they had children under the age of 12 with them that shot the deer and that it was legal. Only I never saw the kids.

Isn't it amazing how the same guys who can't manage to see more than a deer or two all season all seem to have these stories about mass slaughter right under their noses

One farmer in my area shot over 120 deer in one year- next to the PA gamelands because he felt that they were cutting into his crop production.
I challenge you to name the farm, the locationand the adjoining game lands
The farm is owned by the London family and is located in a area know as Burkett Hollow.

Londons, Burketts and Horners are all neighbors and are all related by marriage. They all own hundreds of acres of land in that area.

The State Gamelands is known as 31, the road is called Harringer / Eterline road. Don't ask about the proper spelling.

The story was confirmed by the Jefferson County Adult Probation Officer - Larry Stratiff - you can call him over at the Jefferson County Courthouse and ask him if you wish.

There is a big difference between baiting - using food to entice a deer onto your property for the purpose of shooting it and hunting in the BIG WOODS.

None of their farms are posted and you are welcome to go there and hunt all you want - as long as you ask for permission.

The second day of rifle season I believe, there was afarmer waiting at the mailbox at the end oftheir lane and there was a doe standing at the mailbox on the other side of the road and there were a couple of does not 1/8 of a mile down the road from that mailbox. But you cannot shoot within 150 yards of any occupied house or building without the permission of the occupants. Which means you cannot hunt around the house.

Take 1575 acres and then figure the other 2000 acres of land around the game lands and divide that by 100 deer, that is only a deer density of about 1 deer per 375 acres - before the slaughter. Now you kill 100 deer and the woods looks pretty empty.

I saw plenty of deer on posted ground other placesright next to the game lands, just that you cannot get permission to hunt on that property, the deer are not dumb.

I believe that the name on one ofthe posted sign's was Brian Smith. There are as many Smiths in the Punxsy area as there are in all of Indiana County.

If they go in there and nobody bothers them, they can come and go as they please and will not go into the game lands unless pressured.

Would you go someplace where there is nothing for you to eat and hunters that will shoot at you if you go there? Neither will they!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

hunt bucks only!! what thrill is it shooting a doe anyways.. let the kids take a crack at them not adults... I drove by a hunting camp the first week of the season and saw 5 does hanging on a meat pole...
Some of you guys are really amusing.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul,How am I supposed to wake up?I see plenty of deer on the public lands in 2G and very,very few hunters.The habitat is poor in most places and it won't ever recover if the deer herd increases.I don't complain about seeing no deer like most of you.The last two years were the best years I ever had.There were days I didn't see a thing,just like there's always been but the sign is out there and so is the deer.

By the way,I can show you example after example of a shrub layer and other preferred regeneration under a mature canopy.Wide open woodswith a nothing but fens in the understory is indicative of deer damage and poor habitat for almost every creature.

You do your part for your misguided opinions and I'll do mine.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:19 PM

I honestly think things go in cycles.. Pa is losing more and more hunters every year... why?.. maybe time is an issue, maybe lack of deer?..I also hunt Maryland and I see it going the same way as PA soon.. the only trouble down there is that there are a lot of deer in neighborhoods like New Jersey and they seem to trickle back into the hunting areas every year, but it is getting worse... But there is one property that I hunt that is 300 acers and approx. 100 deer on it and the racks are bigger than any I seein pa all they have is some acorns and two grass fields to feed on... I think its a bunch of crap when people think there should be 1 deer 100 acers... for a healthy habitat. They are clueless. But the main reason I started this post was because of the state game land in Pa, not private land.. the state game lands are suffering. back to the cycles comment I believe once the hunter numbers get low enough the deer herd will make a comeback.. I don't think coyotes are impacting them enough to really make a difference.. or the private land guys would be hurting and they are not. At least the bunch I know and they have coyotes.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Season went pretty well BT.Got permission to hunt a farm down here in 5b and killed a nice buck the third week of archeryseason.I pretty miuch quit because of the hot weather then one rainy evening it cooled off a plan came together.
Son got a decent eight the first day of archery.Other two sons didn't score on buck but one got a fall turkey.We'll give grouse another shot yet.Jumped quite a few this year but most times they weren't sitting tight enough to get a shot.
thanks for asking
Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I think the game commission is doing a great job. They are getting everyone disgusted about hunting. Especially the young kids. They quickly learn that hunting is no fun because they dont see any deer. The older generation is quitting too because they now how good it use to be and they are not seeing the deer they use to. They are mostly lazy and dont do much scouting. THis is great..The Game commission is going to get rid of the hunters that are just weekend warriors. Only the hardcore hunters will remain with few new hunters joining. THats great I will eventually be hunting by myself out their with limitless doe tags and probably buck tags. AND ANOTHER thing i am tired of hearing about bad habitat. WE need to cut these big woods down. Especially in our parks and state forest. Deer are an edge species which means they prefer low habitat which gives them food. What good is an old aged forest good for. I think it is good for woodpeckers and a few other species. We need to cut down these big forest in our state. All the species that are game species love this uprising forest that a clear cut creates. THe best thing would to cut block of woods in cycles to creat a variety of habitat in a microlevel. Clear cutting is the answer to better habitat, its time to release the biomass back into young individuals trees. I dont understand why state forest leave their woods become big woods that produces few game.They could even set up a fund from the timber sales to do just about anything. A great thing would be to buy more land which is available to anybody to use. PA is going to be a state were you must either lease or own your own land===Which suck for the people that dont own or lease anything......
Old 12-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

WE need to cut these big woods down.
God Bless you!

Especially in our parks and state forest.
and again

We need to cut down these big forest in our state.
again

All the species that are game species love this uprising forest that a clear cut creates.
Halleluya

THe best thing would to cut block of woods in cycles to creat a variety of habitat in a microlevel. Clear cutting is the answer to better habitat, its time to release the biomass back into young individuals trees.
Where did you come from?!? I need to go there!

I dont understand why state forest leave their woods become big woods that produces few game.
Because that's what the city yups from Jersey want to see when they put on their hikers and pack a basket to drive out for a day of pecker watching. Some are from Philly too.
They don't want to have to wade through that pesky underbrush! They wear hiking shorts for Pete's sake!

Quick Reply: ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.