HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Vermont deer season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/220086-vermont-deer-season.html)

VT Outdoorsman 11-29-2007 09:07 AM

Vermont deer season

Anyone from VT on here and how did you do this season so far?

MikeVT 11-29-2007 09:15 AM

RE: Vermont deer season

Did not see any legal bucks during the rifle season. Hoping for better results during blackpowder. The kill is down in the SW part of the state.

VT Outdoorsman 11-29-2007 05:03 PM

I find that surprising. I know that the antler reg. has definetly helped the deer population in my part of the state. My property is in WMU M2. Over the summer on the farm and during scouting i saw lots more mature bucks and more deer in general. Have you noticed any results from the antler reg. in your area or not?

ajsoma 11-30-2007 07:51 AM

This is my dad deer from this year. We are in central vermont. I saw like 5 if. bucks but none were the size I was looking for this year. Did see one decent one actually that i couldn't get a shot at. AR's are def. working big time in my area

MikeVT 11-30-2007 08:35 AM

The deer that are being taken are heavier than in years past. The SW part of the state is tough hunting, not a lot of farmland and a lot of posted land.

SLOOC1 11-30-2007 09:35 AM

My rifle season was horrible. I hunt the southern green mountains near rte 9. Anyway between my aunt and my grandmother we have over 500 acres. The acreage attachesto an area that has over 2000 acres with very little hunting pressure. The location I hunt has excellent habitat & has a great history of giving up some nice bucks for southern VT. Anyway I only saw 2 deer all season. Normally I see 6 or so deer on opening day. And consistently see the same areas with good scrapes & rubs. This year I did not see any good buck sign! I did see a couple of small hookings here and there but nothing major. I saw 2 does for 9 days of hunting. Maybe it was the conditions...the majority of the days that I did hunt I had cold dry windy conditions. Real noisy leaves & terrible swirling winds. Last year I had warmer conditions light winds & and quiter conditions due to rainy days. So that has been my year so far. I guess for black powder I will have to hunt another location...unless things drastically change. What a difference a year makes...after the bucks we had on our property last year I thougt for sure this year would be a banner. I haven't given up yet...looking forward to black powder & hopefully some good tracking snow.

Eric

Champlain Islander 12-03-2007 09:44 AM

I hunted for 4 days in Steam Mill Brook WMA in the Danville area and only saw 1 deer which was a running 8 point that I missed clean. I came back home to the Champlain Islands saw 3 different bucks, a ton of does and got an 8 point near the house. Nice buck AJ...tell your dad congrats....Frank

northernedge 12-03-2007 03:12 PM

I bagged a nice doe during bow season 130 lbs. I also missed 2 bucks during rifle but hva essen plenty of deer so next year should be good.