HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Your worst Shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/219543-your-worst-shot.html)

johnnyc531 11-26-2007 08:43 AM

Your worst Shot

The three deer I've taken with a gun have been shots right through the heart but I've not always been so lucky or accurate. Last Friday I was standing on a stump waiting when a huge doe walks past me, by the time I get the scope on her she is slightly turned away. I still got a sight on the vitals though, so I pull the trigger as she takes a few more steps and quarters away from me. Upset at myself thinking I missed I walk over and find a fairly decent blood trail and hair. I call my buddies and tell them I got blood and the trail is leading towards them. I follow the trail finding a few spots we she bedded down for awhile and bleed pretty good. Then suddenly Bang I hear a shot right in front of me. My buddy says he just shot a big doe, I walk over to help him find and and realize my blood trail went about 5 feet past his ground blind. Luckily He put a good finishing shot on the doe because my shot had unfortunately hit the deer in the right side of it's rear end. I gave him the deer and was a little upset with myself for such a poor shot, but at least the deer was harvested and didn't die somewhere in the woods and go to waste.

Steve863 11-26-2007 09:26 AM

RE: Your worst Shot

I think the deer you shot would have died shortly. Although no one wants to aim for the back ham, one shouldn't think that a shot there won't be fatal. The rear hams have a major blood vessel running through them and a shot in the middle of it can be fatal a whole lot quicker than a bullet to the guts. The deer probably would have bled to death pretty quick. I think if a group of friends hunt together, the one putting the first lethal shot in it should be given credit for the kill. Unfortunately many hunters are selffish and want to claim it if they are the ones putting the last shot into it. I guess this would be the norm on public land among strangers, but really shouldn't work this way amongst friends.

johnnyc531 11-26-2007 10:34 AM

Well It was my third deer of the season I'd shotand the guy that finished it off hadn't taken any yet this season. I do think it may have died of blood loss eventually as it was a solid hit and the deer had quite a hole in its hindquarter. I was a little put off that my friend didn't at least offer to share some of the meat, I know I would have offered to share if situation was reversed. My brother-in-law and I basicaly split 50/50 whatever wetake after a percentage of the meat is given to the one landowner thatlets us hunt at his place. We've had conversations with this friend before totell him to be a little more of a community hunter instead of out for himself, but some people never change all the way. At least I have venison anywayand I know that at least I took the moral highgroundin this case.

Steve863 11-26-2007 10:44 AM

I surely would give you the moral high ground here. I have learned over the many years I have hunted not to expect too much from hunters for they can be a very disappointing lot. Many, if not most are pretty greedy. You are to be commended for not starting a fuss over this deer.

Chronic 11-26-2007 01:34 PM

just be freaking thankful the deer ran that way towards your buddy and not the other direction. Hind quarter shot...however lethal you may think...is a serious injury and if the blood clots...the deer can suffer and die from infection. At least this deer was taken care of by your buddy...and since you did put a shot...the first "lethal" shot on a deer is classified as the taker...meaning the one who put the lethal shot in the deer is the one who gets to tag the deer. Consider yourself lucky....yea...he killed a deer you already shot...but you have deer in the freezer already...and you made a bad shot and your buddy captitalized on it. Congradulate him on a good shot...and thank him. Figure it this way...you still have a tag....and you got to shoot your gun!:D
the deer also could have taken off into another property and died...or could have ran 2 miles before it expired. Count your blessings....and your bro had every right to tag the deer....and you shouldnt have been waiting for him to ask to share....he killed it...its his.

johnnyc531 11-26-2007 02:10 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you posted chronic. I'm very glad the deer didn't die somewhere never to be found and be wasted. When the deer was butcheredmy friendsaidhe found my bullet lodged in the front sholder, so it had traveled the length of the body as there was no exit wound from my shot and there was a very big blood trail and the entrance wound was the size of my fist.Knowing that, just how leathal my shot was is questionable, I'd say. Was it a good shot, no not by any means, thus the title of this post. I also radioed my two hunting companions after my shot to tell them where to go to head off the deer, as it was with two others. I hunt with a lot of different people and groups throughout the year, I just find it amazing how much the attitudes change between different people and different groups. I'm a subscriber to the teamwork ethic, some guys want to go it alone. I myself give credit to the guys withme if they happen to help put me in a positon where the deer will come towards me, or even happen to push them towards me. My brother-in-lawis the one who secured rights to hunt where we were that day,and some of his and my meat goes to the landowner every year, not a bit of themeathas come from the guy that finished off my deer the last few years. He also has a stand in a prime location and freaks out if someone wanted to use it if he wasn't hunting during acertain weekend. I on the other hand told my brother-in-law to go ahead and usemine if I'm not hunting. In fact one weekend he was up in my stand while I was hunting somewhere else and he told me where he saw deer behind it. Next weekend I saw deer behind it again. Weekend after that I decided to bring my climber based upon that info and put it 50 yards behind myhang on stand and guess what harvested my first archery season deer. I guess we are getting a bit off topic I wasn't really looking to debate the ownership of a double shot deer. I was actually interested in finding out some of the poor shots that others have put on deer and knowing if the deer had survived or not.

Here are a few othersI've seen or heard about. My brother-in-law once put an arrow in the back of the skull of a deer, needed a second arrow to kill it, deer didn't even go down after the first shot. I actually almost had forgot about it but one of the first deer I shot at with my gun 3 years ago I managed to shoot it's hoof off, It was about a 150 yard shot and the deer was moving, could tell it was dragging the foot after a few hours tracking it got onto private land. The deer was harvested the following year' It limped around a bit but had healed up and was healthy other then the stump leg.