Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa mentored youth hunt >

Pa mentored youth hunt

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa mentored youth hunt

Old 11-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pa mentored youth hunt

Am I the only one who finds this youth hunt a joke? I ran into a guy I know from work at Gander Mountain he is taking his 8 year old kid out Monday. This child looked like she could barely shoulder a rifle let alone shoot straight with it. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for advancing hunting but where do we draw the line. The child does not need a license, they surely don’t understand what damage a high power rifle can do. I personally think 10 years of ageis as low as I would go to allow a child to hunt. When I retook the hunter Ed course with my daughter there were several 12 year oldkids that seemed to think the course was a joke. They kept asking ridiculous questions like “if I die my hair orange does that satisfy the orange requirement” this kid and the other 3 all received a hunter ed card I and several other fathers just shook our heads thinking we will be sharing the woods with these same kids this deer season. now we are allowing any chile with an adult to squeeze the trigger
Old 11-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pa mentored youth hunt

I personally think the kid should be at least 10 before participating in the mentored youth hunt.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

kids have to be ten years old to hunt in jersey.

i know one kid 14 years old, shot his first shotgun buck, a seven point.

someone i talk to's niece shot an 8 pointer.

and one kid shot a 160 class bruiser here in jersey.

all taken during our youth day.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 AM

I think we need less rules and we should allow the parents to decide. I just spent a morning at the range with my 9 yr old nephew who was shooting a 223 and a 270 just great. Seemed to just follow our instructions, no target panic. He has spent days and days in the outdoors and I think will be a great hunter.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

The mentored youth hunt is way overdue. My oldest son was in my tree with me and ready to hunt when he was 8 but we had to wait for that arbitrary 12th birthday.The new lawlets each parent decide when a kid is readywhile requiring complete parental supervision. I've seen 8 year kids that were more responsible and capable than some 14 year olds. This new hunt puts the decision where it ought to be... in the parents hands.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 AM

I hope it works out the way it is supposed to. Hopefully my son can take advantage of it soon. However my first thought when I saw the new rule was " how many low lifes are going to use this to take another buck for themselves like using their"wives tag"?[:@]
Old 11-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CCPaHunter

I hope it works out the way it is supposed to. Hopefully my son can take advantage of it soon. However my first thought when I saw the new rule was " how many low lifes are going to use this to take another buck for themselves like using their"wives tag"?[:@]
That's what I thought....I think they should have to get some type of lic. or card...just so their is some type of record who is hunting. I think deer hunting w/o a lic. is pretty much a way to guarentee more bucks are shot illegally[&o]

Or maybe we should move away from the 12yr rule...and just let people take the test whenever they feel they are ready.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

The mentored youth hunt is way overdue. My oldest son was in my tree with me and ready to hunt when he was 8 but we had to wait for that arbitrary 12th birthday.The new lawlets each parent decide when a kid is readywhile requiring complete parental supervision. I've seen 8 year kids that were more responsible and capable than some 14 year olds. This new hunt puts the decision where it ought to be... in the parents hands.
H E Double Hockey Sticks YEA! you are completely right. Cept the fact that ive seen 8 year olds that seem more responsible and ethical then some of the old ass men around these parts. Let the parents decide.