Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Adirondack land sold/given to Nature Conservancy >

Adirondack land sold/given to Nature Conservancy

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Adirondack land sold/given to Nature Conservancy

Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Adirondack land sold/given to Nature Conservancy

Too bad the NC got their hands on such a great piece of land. With the taxes we pay in NY it should have been taken over by the state and stayed forever wild and multi use. My guess is that could be why the deal went so fast so the NC got it before any competition got involved. I have met some of the zealots that are in the NC and we as hunters are not in the equation of what they want on the land they control. It is nice that it will stay in one piece but you may as well put a fence around it an lock the gates.

Paul
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Any updates?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not perfect - but - rather see a conservency or state buy up the land with reasonable guidlines than developers scarf it up into Spec Homes,WalMart etc....

BTW - Never Ever seen a conservency - Against Hunting

I hunt next door to the largest conservency in state. We are not happy with all that goes on in these places - but it's better than the alternative. We need to speak UP to keep it ALL in check!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Charlie for the update. My only involvement with the Nature Conservation is on a nice piece of turkey/ deer habitat in Southern Vt. I had hunted the land for years and after the NC bought it they had so many regulations that I stopped going. They gave out a number of permits but they had to be applied for every year and I found the area more crowded than when it was in state and private hands. I had the feeling that they only allowed limited hunting for turkey only for a while to ease into the picture and expect one of these days to see no hunting allowed period. They aren't a hunting organization they are tree huggers.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 PM

161,000 acres...is a paultrydrop in the bucket.

Note that the majority is privately owned and canbe bought/soldon a whim. The State will likely never relinquish the Public Landwhich it's taked great pains to aquire in the past several decades.

The Adirondack Mountains are contained within the 6.1 million acresof the Adirondack Park, which includes a constitutionally-protected Forest Preserve of approximately 2.3 million acres. About 43% of the land is owned by the state, with 57% private inholdings, heavily regulated by the Adirondack Park Agency.[2] The Adirondack Park contains thousands of streams, brooks and lakes, most famously Lake Placid, adjacent to the village of Lake Placid, two-time site of the Olympic Winter Games, the Saranac Lakes, favored by the sportsmen who made the Adirondacks famous, and Raquette Lake, site of many of the first Great Camps.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really want to start my own "nature conservancy" and hunt it/keep it for myself and other hunters.....

occasinally someone will donate land to the state/hunting etc...and Im shocked how anyone can donate 600acres etc...? tax write off? did the state buy it?

but ya nature conservancy? rich people donating land to be left untouched......we should take it over and hunt it!

like the radical nature groups...we'll be the radical hunting group....hunting....conservancies....haha posting signs.....land closed to "non hunters" hunting season.....only hunters may use....
Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Surf where are you getting your info from. NC allows hunting on almmost all it's property.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZHY_enUS250US251&q=nature+conser vancy+hunting

Here's a link to a google page with information on the NC and hunting.

The ticked off Friends of animals because they bought land and start allowing hunting when it wasn't allowed before.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

The NC bought this section of beach on Lake Ontario and now it's open to the public, great place to take the family.Put in board walks across the dunes etc.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Charlie P,

I am glad to see in other areas of the country the NC is doing the right thing.

My Info was first hand, as a Long Island Beach BuggyAssociationmember I worked with the local NC people on more than one project (beach access related at that time) and was straight out lied too on more than one occasion. Confirmed by a NC member that apreciated our help but had no power in the organization. I can think of not one property on Long Island that is controled by the NC that allows hunting, only hiking and bird watching, however I will check further. After reading some of the link youi posted it seems that it could be a local problem SE NY, I truly hope that it is or that the winds of change are blowing thru the NC.

Paul