Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Saw and heard my first snort wheeze! >

Saw and heard my first snort wheeze!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Saw and heard my first snort wheeze!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Saw and heard my first snort wheeze!

Almost hit a big Non-typical this morning with the truck. He was chasing a doe. I got all fired up and blew off work from about 10:00 on to go hunting.
Saw nothing but a couple fawns the first few hours. Switched stands and then saw a lone doe feeding. At 5:45 a wide 2.5 year old 8 point came through at 45 yards or so. He is unique in that he has a white blaze on the bridge of his nose. He stood around for a few minutes and a cocky 6 point came down to meet him. They did the stiff legged dance for a second and then the big one let out a God-awfull wheeze like he has acute asthma. I was loving it! After he did that, the 6 point just turned and walked away from him and came directly under my stand, so closeI could've spit on him. The 8 point started to walk away so i dug out my "Can" and gave him a shot. He looked but wasn't biting. I gave another...nothing.
I then dug out my grunt call and gave him a couple grunts. He looked but didn't care. He walked away.
Still a great hunt with witnessing the snort wheeze. I just said the other day that I have never heard it personally. Pretty neat and the stiff legged dance was funny to see.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Saw and heard my first snort wheeze!

You should have snort wheezed back at him. He may have just come on in!! Try it next time as a last resort!!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Saw and heard my first snort wheeze!

I had a deer snort at me once as it was walking away i did it right back and the deer turned around to see what i was. Never gave me a shot though.