Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD Rut...Check in sightings. >

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

The rut isn't over by any means. Like some others have said, some of the older bucks might be on "lock down" with a doe and will follow her every step until she is ready to breed. I saw this with a mature buck last Saturday, but still saw some younger bucks strolling on their own.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't hunt. Just means that you'd be better off trying to located that secluded area where either the does are still bedding or that spot where the mature buck might attempt to breed the doe. Like some other threads in the other forums, a buck will usually breed more than one doe... its just catching him in between the hot ones.

I'm a little under the weather, but I plan to head out tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon regardless of the wind.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I pulled into work this morning at 5:20 am there were 3 bucks together by them selfs 20 yards from the parking lot. An8, a 6 and a spike, no does anywhere. They just kept on eating in the field paying me no never mind. Strange 3 bucks together if the breading hasn't all ready occurred. The compound I work in is Govt propertywith no hunting and rarely see a buck but see many does everyday all year long.I see numerous bucks during the rutting time.I really don't know what to make of this other than the bucks have done their duty.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Well I ain't going out tomorrow due to the wind 20+mph!!! I also don't think I'll make it out Saturday. That probably does it for activity by the following monday or tuesday. I'm thinking they'll be done. But I don't know...
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Saxman1819

Well I ain't going out tomorrow due to the wind 20+mph!!! I also don't think I'll make it out Saturday. That probably does it for activity by the following monday or tuesday. I'm thinking they'll be done. But I don't know...
Let me put it this way. The only way you are going to see activity if there is any is if you get out in the woods. Don't second guess what the deer are going to be doing. Thats the thrill of going out in the woods! I hunt from September-January with bow and only like the rut because it gives me a better chance at scoring a mature buck than the other times of the year. Thats not to say that you won't see or get a shot at one later in the season. My dad took a BEAUTIFUL 8-pointer early ML season last year and the year prior to that, he took down one of the oldest deer in our woods in December. Don't get caught up in all of the craziness that is the rut. Just get out there and enjoy yourself regardless what day or month of the season it is! You're still working on your first deer with a bow... don't rush it... it will come... and when it does... you'll want to be in the woods every free minute you have. Trust me!

I was going to bare it tomorrow morning and head out, but with this head cold, I feel I will be better off passing on the morning temps and wind. I plan to get out tomorrow afternoon with the climber in hopes of seeing some movement.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

Going Saturday morning and evening it's going to be cold hopefully there moving well see. Have any of you guys used any scents or tryedcalling/ratalling lately or will that just scare them away now. I havent had much luck calling I feel like I am just scaring all the deer away. ThanksGood Luck guys
Old 11-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

The rut in Md is far from over. saxman dont give up to quick bud, I've seen them chase does in the 2nd week of rifle season. Im trying some scents this weekend if the wind blows right for me. if the wind doesnt then Ill have to go to plan b, crossing my fingers.... dont give up on the grunt tube either, blow on it. you never know!! cant get em sitting on the couch, unfortanatly I got to work.. good luck to all..
Old 11-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah On the way to work this morning watched a huge buck chase a doe all over the field. sat there for 5 mins. watching this. so dont give up its just starting... cant wait til tom...
Old 11-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Went today this morning dad saw a 4pt but it saw him so he could never really get a shothe said itwas sniffing like crazy. This afternoon saw 2 does nevver presented a shot kept looking at meand then it seemed like most of the action started after safe light we heard some deer running all around I know it had to be a buck chasing a doe just to darkto see.On the way home almost hit a six point on 543 there still looking try again sometime next week.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Spike

Well I can say now that I saw some rut activity. Darn 8 pointer and a small four were going at it at 5 AM in the back yard. The dogs were upset so I went outside as I was about to drive to work. I heard the snorting and wheezes then the racks slamming together. They ran off and my gf called me at 8 AM to tell me that they were again at it in the back yard with the doe watching the ongoing fight. Damascus MD.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't been out since Saturday, but I watched an 8 point chasing and harrassing does on Friday. Yesterday afternoon, my wife saw a huge racked buck in my driveway walking between the stands that Rickmur and I have set up. I hunted there most of last week and only saw dinks and does. It figures.

Quick Reply: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.