Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD Rut...Check in sightings. >

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Well, tonight obviously didn't turn out as I had hoped. I walked into the woods with the intention of sitting on my one stand, however, as I passed by my more productive stand, I decided to sit there instead. Why I chose that, I really have no idea. To make a long story short, I saw zero deer for the first time this season. I guess it all comes with the decision making. If I get out tomorrow afternoon, I WILL be on the stand with the two scrape for sure.

So as far as the rut goes... I say... what rut? I still think that next week will be the better of the weeks for rut activity. We shall see. I can tell you one thing, although I didn't see any deer, you would have thought that the dang squirrels were in rut. They were chasing each other up and down trees and all through the woods. They were so noisy, it would have been hard to even hear a deer coming had one come within sight.

Ah well. So I had a good time out in the woods... just no deer activity. Anyone else get out? Seeing as I'll be hunting hard starting tomorrow afternoon or Saturday, I will try and post each night after my sits to give a hunt-by-hunt update.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 AM

Snuck out of work yesterday afternoon and hunted a new spot at Liberty. Saw 5 does between 4:45 and 5:15. Guess I was a little off on my stand selection because all of the action was about 100 yards away to my East.

Two of the does were being chased pretty hard by a buck. Too far away to tell how big he was. I had picked up a grunt call (Hunter Specialties) last week, so I decided to try to give a grunt to see if I could peak the buck's interest. When I blew into it it let out a pathetic squeek. Sounded like someone hitting a bad note on a clarinet. [:@]

Oh well...can anyone recommend a better grunt call?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TerpFan2001

Snuck out of work yesterday afternoon and hunted a new spot at Liberty. Saw 5 does between 4:45 and 5:15. Guess I was a little off on my stand selection because all of the action was about 100 yards away to my East.

Two of the does were being chased pretty hard by a buck. Too far away to tell how big he was. I had picked up a grunt call (Hunter Specialties) last week, so I decided to try to give a grunt to see if I could peak the buck's interest. When I blew into it it let out a pathetic squeek. Sounded like someone hitting a bad note on a clarinet. [:@]

Oh well...can anyone recommend a better grunt call?
How hard were you blowing into it? With the deer that far away, could you have been blowing too hard which caused the squeak? I've had that happen in the past. You blow too much air into and the reed can't vibrate, therefore, it gets pinned and makes a horrendous noise. I have the Primos Buck Growl (whatever its called) and the one good thing about that call is that you can pretty much blow in it as hard as you want and you won't get that squeak. Other than that, its just another usual grunt call and probably not worth the extra $$$$. Whats this... rain in tomorrows forecast? [:@]
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

I never had a more off day getting into the woods than I did on Thursday morning. First of all I managed to spook an entire field full of deer while I was going in. Then the spot I was headed to had a guy already in it. Then I tried going to another spot and guess what, there were deer already there and they spooked. So I backed out to my truck to keep from pressuring those deer much more and to regroup. After regrouping I decided to head to yet a different spot on the other end of the woods I hunt. As I got up to go in again there was a buck that was feeding and watching me the entire time that I didn't see that got up and hauled tail back into the woods. NOT A GOOD MORNING.

So I finally got to where I wanted to go and got into a tree. 5 minutes after settling in, a doe comes in. She never gave me an opportunity to stand up with my bow. She spotted me and would not take her eyes off me. Stomped a few times then turned around and took 1 bound and stopped. I stood and drew during that bound but she never presented a shot. She just stood there for a minute and then bolted. Never saw another deer that day. That was at 7am. That was the closest I've been to bagging a deer yet with a bow. I'm getting so frustrated. I have yet to bag a deer with the bow. But each year I get closer so I guess it'll happen eventually. Just gotta keep getting out and learning.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Spike

yeah you just have to be patient. I am taking my roommate out trying to get him his first deer and bowhunting isnt easy. I have been able to take over a dozen but it all came with hard work and good luck.

Kepp your head up, your time will come, just make sure you are ready for it.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Saxman1819So I finally got to where I wanted to go and got into a tree. 5 minutes after settling in, a doe comes in. She never gave me an opportunity to stand up with my bow.
Have you ever practiced shooting while sitting down? That is something that I might recommend because you're not always going to get the opportunity to stand (tho more often than not). Its hard to get use to at first, but once you get comfortable with sitting and shooting, it might add to your chances. Once again... practice the shot in the backyard first before trying on an animal. I find that the only hard thing about sitting and shooting is drawing back.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I'll definitely work on that now. I had thought about it while she was coming in but I had not practiced it so I didn't want to chance it.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

well ur getting close..and it sounds like alot of deer..u walk in plan is all wrong though. u should not b in the area of
the fields if the deer are there early..u have to catch them going back to bed...meaning..u have to enter from the backside
and hunt the return travel route...anddddd the wind is blowing N or Ne or Nw...right now..take that into account.
good luck...south wind by wed
Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone heading out this afternoon? I passed on the morning with the lingering rain and am hoping that the front moving through and temps in the upper 40s will lead to some good activity in the woods. I WILL be sitting on the stand with 2 scrapes today in hopes of seeing some good action. Planning to get into the woods around 2 or so. This is my first day of hunting while on vacation, so hoping it starts off on the right foot. Back with a report later tonight.

Good luck to all of those that are able to get out today.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

IN MY O THE BEST ONE ON THE MARKET IS KNIGHT AND HALE EASY GRUNTER,,,,,,
IM NOT SURE HOW HARD YOUR BLOWING BUT IF YOU BLOW TOO HAD INTO ANY GRUNT CALL YOU WILL END UP WITH A SQEIAL,

Quick Reply: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.