Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD Rut...Check in sightings. >

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default RE: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

I am not sure saxman, I put some tinks 69 down with no luck, had a young buck walk by with little interest in it. I think it will work soon, I think time in the field is the best way and judge on the deer's behavior. Where abouts are you hunting?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Howard/Montgomery Counties. On the line in Patuxant River State Park. I've been in the woods on the days where it just stinks they're rutting so hard. I'd like to drop some scent when they'll be really interested.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Seeing as we're getting into the thick of the rut (still don't think we're in the main breeding phase) it might not hurt to try some estrous scents. I know that I scored my nicest buck to date 4 years ago while using an estrous based scent wafer on or around November 15th. I can't recall the exact date but it was near the 15th. He came right in on where I had the scent placed. With that said, if you're thinking about trying some scent, go ahead and try it. Keep in mind that each doe is an individual deer and that there is no set date as to when all does will go into estrous. Thats why I feel as though you will get conflicting reports as to which parts of the state are experiencing more rutting activity. So yea, if you want my honest opinion, I would go ahead and try out some scent either the latter part of this week or next. I'll be trying some all next week while on vacation.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the nice cool weather finally here (this year), things have really picked up with buck sightings. I saw 8 or 9 bucks Monday afternoon with most of them checking out/chasing/following does with plenty of grunting. Most were dinks, but I saw a very big 8 Monday that re-appeared Tues morning. He was chasing does around 9:00am. I think NOW would be the time to use estrous scents if you're gonna use it. The bucks are looking for the first hot does and if the scent is coming from your set-up, it could be money. I don't think it works as well when the real does are in heat since there's LOTS of the real stuff all over the woods. Now if this wind would get outta here, it would be perfect!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

That's why I'm taking off work tomorrow. No more wind. Thinking about trying out a buck bomb of esterus.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

I was hoping to get out today despite the wind but realized that I hadn't cleaned the towels that I use after getting out of the shower before a hunt.[:@] I guess that will give me an excuse to make a run to BassPro tonight to look for a new layer of wool for the upcoming cold mornings.

I plan to be out tomorrow and Friday afternoons if I can get my cases completed for work. Wind or not.. I'll be going the rest of this week I hope! Good luck tomorrow Saxman.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

wind suppose to calm down tomarrow? i hope so, yest and today was very windy
Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Saw bucks chasing does all over the place on Monday. Tonight saw bucks eating acorns not paying any attention to the does. We are getting close but the full force action hasn't hit yet.

The wind is supposed to drop out tomorrow and it looks like it's gonna be the coldest day so far. I would say tomorrow is going to be a good day to be in the woods. I will be in a tree from sun up to sunset for sure.

Good luck everyone, I wan't to see some pics of big bucks on this post soon.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Well, its 145P and I'm about to hop in the shower, get changed and head out for a nice afternoon in the woods. Lefty was right about it being cold today. It feels colder right now than it has on any of my morning hunts.

I'm hoping the lack of wind and chill in the air will have them up and moving. I'm sitting on my one stand that has 2 scrapes and is relatively close to a bedding area. Hopefully I can come back with a good report. Hope to hear from others that got out later tonight. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was out this morning and had two does come beneath me. They smelled where I put my layers on at the base of my tree. Then they blew, then nervously paraded around for half an hour trying to figure out what made the smell before leaving. NO BUCK SIGHTINGS.

Quick Reply: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.