Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD Rut...Check in sightings. >

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Well, I'm still convinced after this morning that the full rut is a week or two away. Got on stand at 630 this morning with the first deer movement at 730 in the form of seven does. Two more does appeared about 15 minutes after the others finally disappeared. At around 815, I heard footsteps over my right shoulder and turned to see a young 6-8 point buck coming from where all the does originally came from. He didn't appear until about 20-30 minutes after the first group of does, so he def was not hot on their trail or pushing them heavy.

All in all I saw 10 does and 2 bucks. I think that the seek-chase phase will be picking up this week in areas where it hasn't already. Hopefully by next week, things will start to pick up and get hot in the woods.

Anyone else go out this morning? The winds weren't as bad as predicted although they seemed to pick up around 10.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are cruising and chasing in Frederick County. I don't know what state of the rut it is, but I will be out every chance I get. In fact, I'm going right NOW!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not much going on in Harford County, scraps and rubs, bucks don't seem to be in any hurry.Watched a one antlered3 pt or 6 I guess if he had bothsides pushing and shoving with a small spikethis morning but that was all.Hope it happens next week, I'm off all week for a serious week of hard hunting with DaveH.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

I got out Saturday morning and busted one on my way into my tree. I saw squat after that. I would have thought they would have been moving a little more. Guess not. I guess the high activity of the rut is a week or two away. What do you think? I hunt Howard/Montgomery county.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think we are full blown into seek and chase phase. Friday morning there were 16 different bucks on the property I hunt. None of them local. All of them were wandering after getting kicked out of there normal residence by more dominant bucks. Most of them had very inferior racks although some were two to three years old.

There are pockets in MD that are in their prime right now. I hunted tonight and and saw a nice eight with nose in the air and on the prowl. My hunting partner saw a very nice buckfollowing a mature doe and on her tail big time. Obviously she is coming into estrous any day now.

If I had vacation to take this year (just started a new job, oh well) it would be this week. Hammers are out and looking.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 AM

I have been seeing a lot of seeking and a little chasing. I think this week and next are going to be smoking. Get into the woods as much as possible!!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Spike

from what i saw this weekend, they are just cruising the area, they werent dogging does, as stated earlier, this next week or two will be great. All you need is that first hot doe to walk by your stand...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

I'm hoping the weather changes around here. Front is coming through today and tomorrow. Hopefully THUR will be OK to go out. What are you guys doing?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

I probably won't make it out today, but I am hoping to get out either Wed, Thurs or Fri afternoon for a couple of hours and then sit most of if not all of the day Saturday. I'm hoping an afternoon this week or Saturday will give me an idea as to how the deer are acting. If I don't hunt, I'll probably atleast go do some scouting to look for any new sign that happened since last Saturday.

I'm on vacation all week next week so you can imagine where I'll be come Monday morning.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

So do you think it is still to early to use estrus or should I go with dominant buck?

Quick Reply: MD Rut...Check in sightings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.