Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Oct. early muzzleloader in PA >

Oct. early muzzleloader in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Oct. early muzzleloader in PA

Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Oct. early muzzleloader in PA

Well, how are you doing out there for the early muzzuleloader for antlerless deer? I hunted Sat., Mon., helped drive Mon. PM, and Tues. We hunted the Moshannon State Forest around camp in the Parker Dam area with DMAP tags. I managed to shoot a nice doe Mon. AM, but deer were hard to get up. We put several out during drives on Mon. PM, but Tues. was blank. I feel the deer were laying in the bottoms under shade and we tried to concentrate on these areas. The weather is SOOOO dry. Saw several small wet areas on drives that were tracked up pretty good, with the deer looking for water. A lot of the small creeks are totally dry. We need rain badly. The spring at camp was OK, and we were able to pump enough water for our use, but the wildlife is beginning to have to travel a bit to get enough to drink. Hope things get better soon. Also, the red oaks were extremely spotty around camp with acorns. The white oak seemed to have a decent crop......maybe they blossomed out a little later. What apple trees are available were spotty too. Been awful dry.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oct. early muzzleloader in PA

I was out today for the early rifle. Saw 13 deer and harvested a nice size doe at 10am. It was such a rush to get her taken care of though. I hate this 70degree october weather! I'm going to go out tomorrow try to fill my other doe tag. Hope you guys are having some luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I know what you mean by the temps. We had to skin and quarter my deer IMMEDIATELY. One of the guys had to stand by the operation and do nothing but shoo the blowflies and the yellowjackets off the carcass while we took care of it. I had a large cooler ready in case of this, and we packed the deer down in ice after it cooled to ambient temp. after being quartered. Thank goodness my wife supplied me with a cloth gamesack before I left for the hunt. It was worth it's weight in gold...........
Old 10-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Took one Thursday afternoon at 5 PM. Had it home by 6:20 and had it quartered and in the fridge before 8sweating and waving off the bugs the whole time
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

yep, got one last tuesday. weighed around 130 pounds