Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Snort/Wheeze no good in PA????? >

Snort/Wheeze no good in PA?????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Snort/Wheeze no good in PA?????

Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Snort/Wheeze no good in PA?????

I was reading an article in the PA Game news yesterday, and the article this guy wrote says the buck roar and wheeze is no good. Now im not an expert on calling however I have had very good luck ratling and calling at time. Grunts, the can, rattle bag etc. I have the Buck Roar and used it a few times this season, with no luck yet. I chalked it up to the fact rut wont be here for a few weeks and the weather. Can anyone explain why the wheeze is no good in PA and good in other states? Im baffled.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Spike

Default RE: Snort/Wheeze no good in PA?????

From what I have read and watched the roar is a dominance or challenge call not a curiosity call. Try waiting until the chase phase of the rut or when you see a dominant buck just looking for love or a fight
Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

only thing i can think of is our rut isnt as intense as other areas due to the buck to doe ratio...BUT, i think we are getting closer and should start seeing better rutting activity. id say after halloween your call MIGHT work on some deer in some areas.

i might try calling this weekend if i goto the mountains. major cold snap and unpressured deer. my buddy that bowhunts up there sees alot of success from calling. not sure how early he calls...but i might try this weekend just rattling and grunting a bit...im running outta time..i wanna MAKE something happen...this cold snap aughta have deer moving...not saying rutting or seeking or chasing...but moving better...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

What article was that? I read game news and don't recall it.

To effectively use the "roar" or snort wheeze calls, you need deer in the right time frame, and a very dominant buck nearby. It helps more if there are multiple bucks and a hot doe. Helps when the buck/doe ratio is good.
I would not use that call until the last couple days of october and on into november for a couple weeks.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard the snort/wheeze a few times in 2007, as I was hunting in New Jersey, just 10 mins from the NJ/PA State line near Milford PA
Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 AM

It was the newspaper one, not the little digest game news. The article was on calls. There was a brief desciption and review on the snort wheeze saying not to use it. I undderstand it is made for the rut, and big dominate bucks. And in PA will work best end of oct and beginning nov. Just wondered why this writer said it was no good in PA. What we dont have dominate bucks? or a rut? didnt make sense to me.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

It’s one writer’s opinion in one dinky magazine, its not gospel.
You should read this month’s game news, there’s a couple pretty good articles in there.

However he was probably referring to the general over abundance of does still in many areas coupled with few mature bucks. This leads to less intense competition for breeding rights, which leads to the less effectiveness of calling. And in those cases he’s right.
BUT in more and more places around this state the herd balance is getting more in line and calling is probably picking up its effectiveness more so than years past. You have to read your area. If you’ve got several mature bucks around, and not a whole lot of does, calling may work better, but you still have to make the right calls at the right times.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any time I've ever used aggressive type calls, the deer all ran away. The roar is one of those calls that only works in very specific situations, as Ryan the bowhunter stated previously.
I fell for the "fighting purr" gobbler call myself. The only thing guaranteed with that call is that you will see NO gobblers on the day you use it.
People call way too much IMO. The only call that has ever really worked for me is to tick the shaft of my arrow against the limb of my bow to simulate sparring. That has worked alot for me. Only problem is that all the bucks that came to it were small 1.5 year olds. But they did come in on a string.
People don't realize that deer know each other well and their rank in the herd also.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last year I used the buck roar on a 6pt that was passing my stand a bit too far for a shot. I knew there was a bigger buck in the area and saw him a couple of times. Apparently he knew it to casue as soon as I let out a short roar on the call, he took off like a scalded dog. He did circle back though but never came close enough for a shot.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I've used the snort wheeze on a big buck about 3 years agoas a desperation call and the buck reacted to it by looking and standing there for a while but ended up just walking off.

Quick Reply: Snort/Wheeze no good in PA?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.