Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 3 Bear cubs on wall of Taxidermy...  Keene NY >

3 Bear cubs on wall of Taxidermy... Keene NY

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

3 Bear cubs on wall of Taxidermy... Keene NY

Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 AM

Default RE: 3 Bear cubs on wall of Taxidermy... Keene NY

Has anyone thought of having this checked out with the DNR? Sometimes we need to police ourselves and the last thing we want is the antis getting the info and exploiting it by taking credit for uncovering "another hunter travisity with our dear sweet lovable wildlife" If they are roadkill or legal hunter kills isnt a taxidermist supposed to have the tags there at the shop?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

I hope for north country's business sake they have tags for every item for sale in that shop after the email I recieved from the DEC thanking me for letting them know of my findings that day.

BTW, not everyone is a trophy hunter..... you are correct but when you start shooting cubs and selling the mounts for $150 attached to a cut piece of log to tourists you become a SLOB hunter at best that gives our pastime a black eye
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 AM

Justsearched "taxidermy" on Ebay and came up with 2264 items.....much of that being critters.

Googled "bear mounts for sale" and it came back with 1,950,000 results.

Selling stuffed critters seems to be lucrative business for a few folks.

Salty, take a pill dude.....................

Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

i googled unethical and it came back with 7,340,000 what's your point?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just searched "taxidermy" on Ebay and came up with 2264 items.....much of that being critters. Googled "bear mounts for sale" and it came back with 1,950,000 results. Selling stuffed critters seems to be lucrative business for a few folks. Salty, take a pill dude.....................
Yeah, and when it becomes lucrative for some they start ignoring laws and ethics so they could make even more money! I was once on a bear hunt in British Columbia Canada where it was also illegal to sell the bears gall bladders. Well, I hunted with a supposedly reputable outfitter who did a real good job getting his hunters black bears. We noticed that when he skinned and gutted out his clients bears that he saved the gall bladders. One evening during the hunt we observed an asian man come to the door. The outfitter had him wait there while he went over to the freezer to get something out for him. A wad of cash was exchanged and the asian guy went merrily on his way while the outfitter was left with a big grin on his face and pocket full of cash. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know what occured there. Eventhough the bears were legally shot, the sale of the gall bladders was not within the law. Many hunters seem to think that hunting doesn't have its shady side. I know for a fact that it has MANY shady sides, and wouldn't be surprised that the sheisters outnumber the good guys by a good margin in the business side of hunting!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Googled "assume"......

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM

"Assuming"

'nuther 118,000,000
Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 AM

"Assumed"

Catch my point yet..?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM

Steve did you report it?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately I didn't. I really had little else to complain about on the hunt, since everyone who was there got a bear and the rest of the accomodations were just fine. I went on this hunt about 17 years ago now and have wondered many times whether I did the right thing in not reporting him. I realize that I probably didn't, but my only point in relating this story here is that there ARE lots of shenanigans that happen in the hunting world and much of it is quite easy to cover up. Out of the few that do get caught and prosecuted, I am sure there are many who never do. I love to hunt, but the sad part is that there really is a dark side to hunting whether hunters want to admit it or not. Most hunters don't want to make issues out of such things since it would only give more fuel to the anti's, but reality is reality and hunters in general shouldn't think they are somehow better than the rest of the society who may have no opinion about hunting or even those who may have negative opinions of it, because the truth is that they are FAR from it!

Quick Reply: 3 Bear cubs on wall of Taxidermy... Keene NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.