Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Opener

Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Spike

Default RE: PA Opener

I seen plenty of squirrel and chipmunks...not one deer!!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 AM

Hunted the opener and saw approx. 20 deer. mostly doe but there was 2 bucks. a small 4 pt. and a BIG 10pt. I missed at 30 yards or so. I guessed at 20 yards and it was actual 30 to 35. I shot right under his front left leg and the arrow hit a rock on the floor and went right up into a tree. That sucked !! all i saw was a white tail flying high. I got the arrow back, but the shaft had exploded at the insert. Anyways, I know he's there and know body has hunted there since maybe next saturday will bring me luck.

cliffordPA
Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY ARCHER

Hunted the opener and saw approx. 20 deer. mostly doe but there was 2 bucks. a small 4 pt. and a BIG 10pt. I missed at 30 yards or so. I guessed at 20 yards and it was actual 30 to 35. I shot right under his front left leg and the arrow hit a rock on the floor and went right up into a tree. That sucked !! all i saw was a white tail flying high. I got the arrow back, but the shaft had exploded at the insert. Anyways, I know he's there and know body has hunted there since maybe next saturday will bring me luck.

cliffordPA
i take string and put a 30 yd mark on it..
i tie it to my stand and pull it tight at 30 yds,then i put a orange ribbon at that spot,i do this in 4 directions..

no way i will not know what yds are..doing this for 50 years.

no shots over 30 or buck walks,and a LOT have walked in 50 years..
fun is missing buck too, think of stories you can now tell..
i feel bad when i kill a big buck anymore but i still enjoy hunting ,so i keep doing it..

i just wish kids today could enjoy it too but a lot cant sit still, get cold and hungry..
we were raised tougher and thats more important today than it wasyears ago when we would see 5 to 10 buck a drive...
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Hi all, i'm new to the site but got word a picture of my deer was posted on this site (page 3 from Easton_xx75) and thought i'd see what it was.

But yeah i got in my tree around 5:15 the opening day and called my dad so he knew i made it up the treealright. closed my phone and heard some footsteps. about 10 minutes later i saw my Cuddeback flash and saw the outline of a deer keep walking through the moonlight. didn't think much of it. it got to be around 10:30 and i forgot something to eat and drink and to urinate in to for an all day sit (this all occurred 200 yards behind my house). so i got down around 10:30 and grabbed my card out of the cuddeback and went back in the house for a drink and to use the bathroom. i put the card in the sandisk to view it on the t.v. and there he was 5:41 a.m....not much hope, thinking he went nocturnal on me i went back out around 1 p.m. for the evening hunt. it got to be around 2:15 and i heard a sound that sounded like a grunt, i didn't really believe it and just shook it off. again about 5 minutes later i heard it again...so i thought what the heck i have nothing to lose, it's like 80 degrees out and deer movement will be minimal anyway, so i grabbed my grunt call and gave a few calls. i went back to sitting and sweating in my stand and about 5 minutes later out of the corner of my eye here he came. i grabbed my bow off the eazyhanger and he walked in to a shooting lane at 17 yards and i let him have it through the heart. he went about 30 yards and i watched him fall over. and then came the tears and the phone calls because i've been watching him all summer since he first sprouted as an 8 point and i have about 150 trail cam pics of him.

I had him scored by a friend that works for the game commission in the Shippensburg area which is where i go to school and he got a gross score of 179 and a net score of 171 3/8.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 PM

At the end of November i'll let you all know what the official score is. Hope it doesn't shrink too much
Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

PA12pt,

Have any pics to share?

wayne
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM

I'm not totally sure how to do it....but i do have alot of pics to post if i know how....i tried on this one but dont know if it will work
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM

i go to the photobucket website and click the add image button and paste the URL from photobucket in the add image prompt and click ok...am i doing it right? because a red X just comes up
Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

I am not too familiar with photobucket. Maybe try just pasting the URL?

Wayne
Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 AM

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/PA12pt/?action=view&current=week2930053.jpg

Alright, here's the link to my album on photobucket for my opening day buck (story above)......16" inside spread 18" outside spread......10" G3's......24"inch main beams......5"inches ofcircumfrence from bases to the G4.......Green score: gross 179 net 171 3/8

Quick Reply: PA Opener

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.