Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA question?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA question?

The deer are much healthier everywhere andstill in good numbers in much of the state. The areas that generate the most complaints of too few deer are among the absolute worst habitat in the state. (The areas that were formerly known as the deer woods)

Interestingly, doe mortality was studied in one of those areas and hunters accounted for only 8-15% of all adult doe mortality. Doe tags were also cut dramatically very early on in this program in that same areaso it's not overhunting thats to blame. Predation, lack of food, low recruitment, fawn mortality and many other factors contribute to the low deer numbers in the problem areas. The biggest problem is that there are huge areas that have graduated to the pole timber stage.... the worst kind of wildlife habitat.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 PM

I have a tough time with how the doe season is being handled. I feel that we are just killing off too many pregnant does. I used to see 20 to 30 dear opening days, now it is rare to see 2-3. It has made hunting in pa much more challenging. The females have got more mass to them and with the antler resctrictions the bucks are coming along. I think last year we had moreP&Ybucksthan ever before.I have got some nice bucks this year on the trail cam but not many doe. My camera has been out for 3 months and I only have one fawn picture.I always get my doe tag, although if I get a buck I doent think I will fill the doe tag this year. I would like to go back to the short doe season.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 AM

Im new but just wanted to add my two cents. I live in York County now, but have lived in Coudersport(Potter) for 4 years until recently. I hunt exclusively in Clinton and Potter. Though I travel much of the state often, the counties mentioned are the only ones I know like the back of my hand.

In my opinion, the PGC needed some type of management program. But they went about it all wrong, whether it is lack of man power or deceitfull political practices I cannot say(though I favor the latter). Our counties needed to be managed on a much higher level. Without going into great detail, Clinton and Potter counties should have been split further. York also but for different reasons. For years hunters and biologists complain about the lack of quality habitat in Clinton and Potter. This couldnt be farther from the truth. Less deer per sq mile, and many more select cuts in the last 10 years than ever before, and with the DCNR gating many access roads, the quality is at its highest ever. Again, purely in my opinion. But the quality of bucks seen in the last 3 years cannot be achieved purely by age alone.

What id like to see is doe season cut for two years in those areas. Closely monitor the population with more stringent methods than field surveys. Ive gotten alot of flack over this one, but bring public run check stations to PA. Not only will public run check stations allieviate some problems with PGC manpower, it will also help the much needed local economy. For years hunting was the big money maker in Clinton and Potter. In recent years snowmobiling has replaced that. Our deer herds affect more than hunters, as the businessman in these areas can attest.

Our state has alot of work to do. It is going to take years to get a balance which in my opinion most hunters will not agree with. But one that will nonetheless benefit a healthy deer population. We need less PGC input and more hunter input. The PGC needs more manpower, and they have that in the hunters of PA. Now they just need to get their heads out of the arse and listen! And the hunters in PA need to get more than 100 yrs off the path, and realize the 25 deer you saw the first day were the same 5 running back and forth. And on a related but much different note, we PA hunters need to start paying attention to public lands. We need more, and fast. With the private lands being bought up by developers in all areas, our grandkids may not have many more choices on where to hunt, and which also greatly impact any management plans the PGC takes.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with pahick. Furthermore, the check station idea will give the PGC an "accurate" number of deer harvested each year. As a hunter in Potter County for the last 20 years, I am seeing far less deer, but larger buck. Almost an accurate trade-off.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jjwillie

I agree with pahick. Furthermore, the check station idea will give the PGC an "accurate" number of deer harvested each year. As a hunter in Potter County for the last 20 years, I am seeing far less deer, but larger buck. Almost an accurate trade-off.

I only hunt those 3 counties anymore, but I agree jjwillie, im seeing larger deer in those counties. Though I dont think the check station will go over well at first, I think it will make a difference.