Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions >

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

And all of these arguments should show that NY is in need of an overhaul to its managment program... butin NYgetting hunters mobilized for change is like moving the Rockies from Colorado to Hawaii.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thought it was not that important to you?

Bar of Soap cannot get a dmp where he lives/hunts.
I expect to be able(if I so choose) to legally and without damaging herd numbers, to take 6 deer within20 miles of my home. Two of which could be bucks from 8 pt 1 1/2 yo to 4 point 5 year olds - or even one of the probably 20 or more P&Y eligible bucks taken in the same area every year.

No one has shown that either condition demonstrates the need for state wide points based AR.
Therefore what is it that us stupid NY hunters need to mobilize about?

Steve

Steve
Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah...I'm the pot stirrer...

NO BUD.. it's not important enough to me to ARGUE with you. Which you seem intent on doing with me...
Old 09-01-2007, 06:37 AM

Wow, came to the gun fight late! LOL.

My .2 cents worth, not made if the went to antler restriction.

Side with you Airborneguy, not looking for a fight, just wanted to respond to the post.

Maybe someone could set up a voting chart on the forum, ( I'm not sure how) this way some of those who don't want to debate the issue can just vote. This may provide a better insight onNY hunters opinions concerning this topic, and a great topic it is!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Spike

some of you guys say shoot a doe, but how many of those does are button bucks. the deer everyone wants to save.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 AM

Mike, I'm not going to say it doesn't happen. However, if the hunter takes the time to learn the subtle clues to distinguish the difference between a doe's shape and a bucks, this could help eliminate some button bucks mortailty rates.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 PM

If you cannot tell the difference between a 6-7 month old button buck and a mature doe, you should not be allowed to hunt whitetail. It's not rocket science unless you are shooting them at night or they are running in brush. Then it would be hard to distinguish the two. Take time and use respect when judging your quarry.

I hunt in 3J, we take our does with bow and mzlder. We also get nuisence permits from farmers to harvest does that cause severe crop damage in summer. These permits are given to hunters to use by the farmers. I personally this summer have seen and increase in 8 pointers from previous years. AR are helping in my opinion. Now if some of these 2.5 year old 8 points can slide through this year,then we would see some bueatiful bucks next year. There are definetly more bucks around this season in 3J. Our deer cams are prooving it.

In many parts of NY we need to go to a 1 buck limit/ you choose your weapon of choice tokill that buck.Especially on the eastern end of the state.This should go on for a few years and then allow a bowhunter to harvest a buck and also with gun. Most hunters couldn't tell you the difference in a 1.5 year old 8 point from a 3.5 year old 8 point but AR will help more bucks reach maturity. It's not perfect but a start.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:53 AM

"I am happy about it. In some areas of NY, I have NEVER once seen a buck with points, just spikes. It will be good to see some age structure in our herd again."
Airborneguy
YES I 1000000000% i agree with this guy becasue in 3M i see sooo many mature doe there and no mature bucks... so i say them them grow and about 2-3 years they might even be trophys!!!! thats why i got2 doe tags this year.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

PA done it and now we shootin dem bigguns
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

In some places of NY, like 3H, they made it so a buck must have 3 pts on one side to shoot it... for 100s of years a legal buck wasa spike, or better, it makes me mad that the casual hunter, who is just as happy to get a 4 pointer as he is a 12... i guess they want bigger deer for more hunters and money [:@]
i actually took my brother to his course yesterday and thats only true in some countys NOT all