Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions >

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

I don't really want to argue it any more - really - but..........

Farm hunter, it does NOT bother me at all when someone says they want to shoot larger bucks only. But please don't try to tell us that QDM doesn't have trophy hunting in mind first and foremost.

"QDM guidelines are formulated according to property-specific objectives, goals, and limitations. Participating hunters enjoy both the tangible and intangible benefits of this approach. Pleasure can be derived from each hunting experience, regardless if a shot is fired. What is important is the chance to harvest a quality buck - an opportunity lacking in many areas under traditional management. When a quality buck is taken on a QDM area, the pride can be shared by all property hunters because it was they who produced it by allowing it to reach the older age classes which are necessary for large bodies and antlers."
The 1st paragraph I quoted - was the definition - the Third paragraph that you quoted was supporting contribution offered by the Author of the Article. Yes the author insinuates that "Quality Whitetails" have larger racks. It is often stated, however, as part of the Sell Job for QDM - here let me show you:

QDM Statement: A deer population with broad representation through several age classes is a much more HEALTHYherd.

Does QDM promote a managment system, (see thedefinition I quoted in previous post) that would allow more deer to move to the older age classes...........YES .............Do older deer generally have larger antlers? .......................Of course they do!........... and thereforeit goes without saying, that under QDM managment (as opposed to traditional deer management) - MORE BUCKS HARVESTED -WILL have larger antlers!

Sure its a sell job for the uninitiated - its also TRUE. I WILL ALSO tell you again that QDM DOES NOT have Larger antlers first and foremost as the cornerstone of the management plan.

Is there smoke & mirrors - HELL No!.............. UNDER A QDM MANAGMENT PLAN - MORE DEER WILL LIVE INTO THE OLDER AGE CLASSES - and a more balanced deer population is the result.

QDM is NOT trophy management. It actually, conflicts with Trophy management on many levels.

I do see that not everyone is willing to change their hunting practices - even in my own hunting party. So many of us just want to be able to harvest any buck - that ANY limitations - likey "hurt our chances" - I get it. I'm only saying - keep an open mind to QDM (which may not support statewide Antler Restrictions as was noted) - it will probably be the conerstone of Deer Management in NY in the next 5-10 years, if not sooner.

- Good luck and be safe all you hunters this fall! Make memories that will last a lifetime........and get a Kid involved!

FH

Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Post Farm Hunter!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Just curious I do not know the answer and would like to know. What was the decline in licensed deer hunters in PA when they stared the ARs?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious I do not know the answer and would like to know. What was the decline in licensed deer hunters in PA when they stared the ARs?
I don't know the answer, but even ifI didn't like ARs I would still hunt.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mustad

What's the difference between shooting a small buck and a doe? I would rather see a doe harvested personally.

You are right; these laws are made to enhance the population of the deer herd. You'll take a hit for the next few years; but in time; those casual hunters that are currently intent in taking a small buck will be even more intent in taking a big buck because there will be more around.

In the meantime, go get a doe license.
once again this year i was unable to get a dmp, maybe in 2 years... its really sad considering how many does are running around.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

This year, I got both DMPs I asked for. Just look out west and you will be thnakful that you don't have to deal with a lottery for your main tag and only for DMP's.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Meant to add... some people in NY act like having to hunt a different zone one year is like having to go out of the country. Although I do agree that there should be more doe permits.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Meant to add... some people in NY act like having to hunt a different zone one year is like having to go out of the country.
No, it isn't like going out of the country, but if you want to hunt some private land and avoid all the yahoos you seem to encounter on public land it isn't exactly a simple undertaking. Some of us already drive considerable distances to get to our hunting grounds. Adding another 2, 3 hours to the drive is not exactly feasable for many. In my opinion the lack of private land available for hunting is the number one reason many hunters are giving up the sport.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I agree about the private land, but if you use some of the resources on the DEC site, you will be pleasantly surprised to find a lot of out-of-the-way state lands open to hunting, where you won't see many other hunters. In the past few years, I have found some new places all over the state. Yes it requires a little more driving (on top of the 2 horus it takes me jsut to get to the Catskills), but its worth it.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

To get one DMP where i hunt you need to be denied a minimal of 2 times.

Quick Reply: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.