Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

feeding deer

Old 02-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: feeding deer

Cardeer,
I do live in PA but sorry to dissapoint you because I never sent you any e-mail nor ever will.
I wont tolerate those who believe in hear-say instead of the cold hard facts of many educated people.
The only communication I sent you was the last post I made before this one.

Sincerely,
Mr.D
Old 02-26-2003, 07:18 AM

Totally wrong to feed deer! As a hunter you guys should know this. Your not helping out the herd or " giving them a chance" as you call it. You are messing with the natural process of survival of the fittest! Deer are wild animals and have adapted to cope to the sometimes harsh winter weather, including deep snow, cold temperatures and high winds. Deer adapt physiologically as well as behaviorally to the changes of season. Man-made feeding causes high deer densities that can contribute to the spread of all types of diseases. Also, the smallest and weakest deer, usually fawns, get pushed to the end of the feeding line and starve. Wild deer that are dispersed in their habitat rarely exhibit this behavior, allowing the younger deer an opportunity to eat. Also, rapid changes in diet can produce digestive disruptions resulting in death, because the microorganisms are not able to adapt to a sudden change in diet. Harsh winters are natures way to control populations that support certain areas.
But that' s just my opinion...............[:-]
Old 02-28-2003, 06:52 PM

FEED THEM EVERYTHING.....any and all vegies, fruit, hay, horse feed...Also try to clear a spot for them.. I also take out water for my small herd... You will find out You' ll get better and bigger Deer around you..