Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MORE DMP's FOR NY STATE !?!?!? >

MORE DMP's FOR NY STATE !?!?!?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MORE DMP's FOR NY STATE !?!?!?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Default MORE DMP's FOR NY STATE !?!?!?

Just got my latest copy of New York Outdoor News today and was surprised to see the lead article....."N.Y. DMP numbers to jump 40 percent".
Has anyone seen a lot more Deer this year as compared to last? In the Southern Tier, where I live and hunt, it's been rather thin as far as my early scouting has been concerned. I've seen a few nice bucks, a few does and maybe a handful of fawns. The overall sightings have actually been less than last year though! I know folks who never even saw a single Deer last gun season. Bow season was kind of weak for me. I ended up harvesting a six-point. The buck I was following got hit by a car mid-season. The does I saw were a family group of 4, all through Bow and Gun season, but I left them alone. I know other hunters didn't.
I guess it just doesn't make sense to me, but if it makes sense to the DEC then it must be all right!

Any Thoughts?
J-Bow
Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
jf5

Default RE: MORE DMP's FOR NY STATE !?!?!?

Well, I don;t have an anwer. But we have had several mild winters in a row now, I wouldthink they want to contain the growth before we get a bad one.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I saw more deer last year than normal for me, but more than likely that was just because I was hunting better areas. The winters we have been having had to have helped the survival numbers though, thats without a doubt.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 AM

I have seen probably twice as many deer (bucks & does) this year than last. Several are decent bucks as well!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Great year for deer. Seeing them everywhere in my area. I'm seeing MORE fawns than I have ever before.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
OGW

For 2 years after the DEC put the "WhackDown" on the deer herd in my area(when they found CWD)...I saw hardly anything(I got to see 3 the entire 1st season afterwards).
Now it seems they are coming back strong. Last season I passed on 63 deer and took the 64th. This year I'm seeing Alot of deer with a few small bucks out during the day, Tons of Does, and quite a few with Double Fawns!
Hopes are High for a active season!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Sounds like maybe the DEC does have a handle on the herd situation. I haven't seen a whole lot, but then again, it's early and they are harder to see at this time of year. We really don't have any cut fields where they might congregate. A lot of woods and goldenrod, which is perfect for a Deer to hide in.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

I saw the new Hunting and Trapping guidethey issue with your license this year and it shows the odds of getting a DMP highfor 8T/8X/8S and the chance of a second DMP as NONE. I have seen a slight increase in the herd over what it was two years ago, but I agree with the state logic in this area we could use another year to build up the herd.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

i have only seen but a few bucks and out of those only a slight handfull would be considered if you were looking for mass. what i have seen a lot of though has been doe and yearling's...counted 15+ in the open field lot the other night. all told at leastwhere i hunt it will be a great year to fill the freezer... but for those looking to have a mantle piece??? i guess only time will tell.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/30409.html

Quick Reply: MORE DMP's FOR NY STATE !?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.