HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   hey MD guys, need some opinions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/200879-hey-md-guys-need-some-opinions.html)

geterdun2 08-06-2007 02:02 PM

hey MD guys, need some opinions

hey all. my search for private land isnt going to well, so i should prepare to hunt on public land while im continuing my search. i live in Baltimore county, and last year i jus went to a few WMA's around here (elk neck state park and gwynbrook wma) and hunted ona last minute of yearthing, hoping to get lucky. this year, i want to have1 or 2lands that i can start to scout and be confident in. i want them to be under an hour away from baltimore co., b/c im going to be hunting mornings alot - staying at my house, waking up very early and driving 30-45 minutes tothe spot.i plan to do this alot, so i dont want to have to drive 2 hours. does anyone have any suggestions for good public land within 45min-hour of baltimore: land with good deer #'s, not too extreme hunting pressure, etc. i could jus look on DNR website, but they dont give a feel for what the land is like, which i was hoping to get from you. dont give me your secret spot lol, just a general idea. thanks a milllion, i need to start scouting soon [8D]

DougMD 08-06-2007 06:41 PM

RE: hey MD guys, need some opinions

Fort Meade (Northern Tract of the Patuxent Wildlife Refuge) is less than an hour from you, 8,600 acres, from Baltimore go down 95 to 32 east to right on 198, 1/2 mile on left down Bald Eagle drive. If it is easier for you to get on 295, that's even closer. Gun qualification is August 26, and another around Sept. 16, paper plate at 40 yards3 out of 5 shotgun and 2 out of 3 muzz. Bow qualifications are almost every evening after 6 and Saturdays something like 10 to 2.

Check out the website: www.mnha.net

chazspot 08-08-2007 12:57 PM

I concur with what DougMD says. Fort Meade is crawling with deer, probably some big bucks too.

You might want to also check out Liberty Resevoir. You will need to register:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/lnp.asp

I was driving south from Liberty Resevoir on Rt. 32 this past Sunday and saw two VERY nice bucks on the side of the road grazing. Both wallhangers.

geterdun2 08-08-2007 02:29 PM

yea i might check out both. fort meade has a 6 pt. minimum (learned that from my man dougmd last year). i also have heard good things about pretty boy. im thinking thats about 30 minutes from my house. last year there was a deadline to register by, but i think they have elimiated that this year, you jus have to fill out a form and carry it with you. has anyone ever hunted here? killed any deer? im would defintely like to give it a try. i also might hunt at elk neck state park, as i saw alot of deer sign there last year, actually tons of it, and saw a few deer (no real bucks tho). i appreciate the info i jus want to be sure that im ready in a month when the season opens. in the past years, i have sort of "wong" it and jus hunted when and where i could, hoping a deer would walk by me, this year i want to be sure that deer are in the area ya know, and feel more confident. thanks alot for the info guys, im going to check out both spots online and see what i can find

fuzzjocky2 08-08-2007 11:16 PM

the wssc resevoirs are pretty good bets if you are looking to arrow a deer last time i hunted it (hunted it alot a few seasons ago)I sawa lot of deer $30 for yearly permit if i remember right

DougMD 08-09-2007 05:48 AM

Let me know if you plan to qualify at Fort Meade with shotgun and/or muzzleloader. You could meet me at my house early and ride with me and my older son. He won't be hunting for years, but likes to go and help out carrying stuff.

JesterUSCG 08-09-2007 06:58 AM

I'll be there for the 15/16 Sept Bow and gun quals.

geterdun2 08-09-2007 04:04 PM

hey guys, for liberty, do i need to send something in to register, or do i jus carry the form i must fill out. i says

"Note: The DNR Copy of the Liberty and Prettyboy Reservoirs Bowhunter Registration and final date to register have been eliminated. Hunters are still required to complete the Bowhunter Permit Registration. The registration permit must be in your possession while hunting on these areas. All other rules for bowhunting on Liberty and Prettyboy Reservoirs remain in effect."

does this mean i dont have to send anything in?

geterdun2 08-09-2007 04:06 PM

also, out of curiosity, has anyone ever hunted elk neck state forest? if so, how did ya do?

chazspot 08-10-2007 02:58 PM

hey guys, for liberty, do i need to send something in to register, or do i jus carry the form i must fill out. i says

"Note: The DNR Copy of the Liberty and Prettyboy Reservoirs Bowhunter Registration and final date to register have been eliminated. Hunters are still required to complete the Bowhunter Permit Registration. The registration permit must be in your possession while hunting on these areas. All other rules for bowhunting on Liberty and Prettyboy Reservoirs remain in effect."

does this mean i dont have to send anything in?
Correct, just fill out, print it out, and carry with you in addition to hunting license.

also, out of curiosity, has anyone ever hunted elk neck state forest? if so, how did ya do?
Nope, never have. Too many deer here in Montgomery County to chase :)

breakaleg 08-10-2007 11:36 PM

I have not hunted in elk neck state forest and you should not either.Now I will tell you why. If you go a little further down the road you have elk neck state park which has some very good hunting.There are 3 places you can hunt in the park.
Cater conference area- gun hunting , bow hunting
Rouges Harbor- bow hunting only
Turkey point area- bow hunting only

Rouges and turkey you make reservations. The hunting starts the last day or 2 in october and ends the 2nd or 3rd week of december.You can sign up at the ranger station.You can make areservations mid october I believe. There will be people camping out the night before to get the first day to hunt ( make reservation ).Turkey point is 3 to 4 hundred acres I think.Rogues is only 70 to 80 acres. There are some bruisers in there. If you can shoot a bow you will kill deer. Period. Call them up and get all the info. You have to shoot a doe first but usually thats not a problem.It gets hunted hard but the number of deer there will blow your mind.Send me a pm and I can tell you more things if you want. Maybe we can even hunt a day or 2 together.

geterdun2 08-13-2007 03:17 PM

beakaleg-i just sent you a pm. for some reason its not showing in my "sent" box, so if it didnt go thru just let me know and ill resend it. but yea, im glad to hear someone else hunts this area. by the dates you listed above, does that mean that there is no bowhunting at any of the properties on the bow opener sept 15? or are the dates you listed just got firearms? i hopebowhunting starts on the openerbecause i would like to scout this weekend and get a nice spot ready for sept 15. when you hunt there, do you go way in the back or just stay within a few yards of the main trail? i mean its not a million acres ya know, but im sure there is some room to roam. i hunted there last year and shot at a doe but made a bad shot and missed her completly, which im happy about b/c i didnt wound her. i saw massive tracks and poopand saw a few deer but they were simply to far from me (exccept for the one i missed she was prob. 30 yards). but yea, i would like to hunt with ya, that would be cool. you said there are some bruisers in there? have you killed any there? ok, i guess i have typed enough, i start typing about hunting and get excited and cant stop. lol. thanks for the info bud

Robb92 08-14-2007 03:31 AM

If you don't mind driving, I have 35 acres of private land that is loaded with deer in PG county down off of 210. Its bow only. Let me know and I can take you out with me.

geterdun2 08-14-2007 01:50 PM

I just sent you a Pm, for some reason its not showing in my sent box, so if it doesnt come through, just let me know. im not sure why it didnt showup, its weird. let me know and if it doesnt ill send it again or post it here. thanks a million rob, thats very kind of you. about how far from baltimore, MD is it?

Robb92 08-14-2007 04:42 PM

Just dropped you a pm about it. Its about 15 minutes from Andrews AFB. By the National Colonial Farm musuem.

Mr. Longbeard 08-14-2007 09:41 PM

Thank god

JesterUSCG 08-15-2007 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Robb92

If you don't mind driving, I have 35 acres of private land that is loaded with deer in PG county down off of 210. Its bow only. Let me know and I can take you out with me.
Hey Robb92,
If you ever need a hunting buddy, let me know! I lost my only two spots to new housing developments here in Edgewater. I'm just up the road here off of RT 214(Central Ave).

Now I'm trying to get on to Ft. Meade (I plan on swinging by MNHA and joining today - I work near/at the FT). And of course I'm trying to find something local/private but that is kind of tough this late in the year. Oh well such is life!

Pa Trophy Man 08-16-2007 07:31 PM

delete