HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Wheeling, WV area (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/198592-wheeling-wv-area.html)

JFergus7 07-21-2007 02:23 PM

Wheeling, WV area

Any HNI members from the Wheeling, WV area? I have been given access to 500 acres this year and will be heading out in a few weeks to put out some cameras and clean up. If anyone wants to get together and do some shooting or grab a few drinks let me know.

Planning on going weekend of August 3-4th.

Dryridge 07-21-2007 06:24 PM

RE: Wheeling, WV area

Can you be more specific as to where? That is a little north for most of us, but I might consider depending on where exactly and when.

Dave in BARBOUR CO.

JFergus7 07-22-2007 08:39 AM

Dallas, WV and I will only be about 15 minutes from the Cabelas.

GR8atta2d 07-24-2007 08:56 AM

Was just at that Cabelas last week..it's about 1.25 hrs from me. NE Ohio

FOP23 07-24-2007 03:10 PM

Be prepared to see some big bucks in that neck of the woods JFergus, I have several friends that work for the city police department in Wheeling and have seen some enormous bucks running in the area. I know the city hunts are pretty restrictive, but being out in the county you should be fine. I'm about an hour and 15 minutes away. I know when they began developing around Cabela's they began having more bear sightings in the residential areas around there. Who knows what your cameras will turn up.

JFergus7 07-24-2007 04:24 PM

I was in Dallas, WV for Thanksgiving last year and was shocked that I didn't see any bucks. I did see several hundred doe's though. I really hope that it is different this year. Would also be cool to see some bear since we don't have those around Chicago!!!

bspencer 07-24-2007 09:13 PM

if i was closer id help ya out some

im in Nicholas county and am looking for someone to make me a deal to bushhog about 10-15 acres of my 125 ac hunting land

WVHunter129 08-10-2007 12:04 PM

To far for me...I am like bspencer...I live in Fayette County WV. Good luck on that 500 acres!!

OGW 08-10-2007 09:53 PM

JFergus7, I wish I could get down there to help!
Good Luck with your place!
I hunt in WV each year for ThanksGiving Week and love it!!!

Dryridge, I hunt Barbour or just over into Harrison Co.

JFergus7 08-13-2007 07:49 AM

I was a little surprised when I went out last week that I didn't see as many deer as I did the previous time I went. But I did see a bunch of does and a few bucks. Only one that looked to be of any decent size. I was totally shocked though at the amount of turkey's that I saw on this trip. The first time out I didn't see a single turkey. This time I saw more then I could count. Guess I will have to plan a spring trip to come back and wack some of them!