Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Is baiting coyotes legal in NY ? >

Is baiting coyotes legal in NY ?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Is baiting coyotes legal in NY ?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is baiting coyotes legal in NY ?

Can't find any mention of it in the regulations guide.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Spike

Default RE: Is baiting coyotes legal in NY ?

I don't beleve it is. I haven't read or heard anyhting about it being illegal. I knowa guy that get roads kills from the troopers and uses the for baiting coyotes. I also just looked again ata the DEC website and found nothing on baiting coyotes. Might want to call you local DEC officer to double check.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is baiting coyotes legal in NY ?

you can bait for coyotes when trapping....good question....id like to know as well.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Spike

Default coyote baiting in NY

Originally Posted by Syclone
I don't beleve it is. I haven't read or heard anyhting about it being illegal. I knowa guy that get roads kills from the troopers and uses the for baiting coyotes. I also just looked again ata the DEC website and found nothing on baiting coyotes. Might want to call you local DEC officer to double check.
I have contacted the Local DEC officers before and Questioned them on things that sounded like they were not sure them selves and contacted another officer and had the opposite answer..I would check with multiple DEC officers and then make your own decision.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure, but what I understand a coyote won't go near a deer carcass pile that has been placed there.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

AFAIK It's only illegal to feed/bait deer and bear.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Spike

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

Baiting

It is illegal to hunt with the aid of bait, or over any baited area when hunting big game, upland game birds, turkey or waterfowl.

Answer: Yes you can bait for coyotes

jd
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter
Not sure, but what I understand a coyote won't go near a deer carcass pile that has been placed there.

They certainly will
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

So long as they don't sneak downwind and smell you there waiting for them kiss the deer goodby.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Spike

Coyotes do go to a bait pile of deer or any other scrapes like that. Have killed many around it. Try to keep tracks of boots away from there though. Use of snowshoes will not bother them. they will walk down them. I live in the north country and they still come in. good luck

Quick Reply: Is baiting coyotes legal in NY ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.