Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Scouting in your spot (do or dont???) >

Scouting in your spot (do or dont???)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Scouting in your spot (do or dont???)

Old 06-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scouting in your spot (do or dont???)

Hey guys,

Do you go into your area and put out cameras or just to check which spots the deer are using?

I know that this one can cause some debate...I am starting to think that maybe I shouldnt be going in to set up the camera every so often.

What do the rest of you do and what impact does it have on the deer????

Jim
Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scouting in your spot (do or dont???)

I learnd this tip form someone so now im passing it on to you.... do it right before or during a rain that will minimize the amount of disturbace you will make. And go get them in the rain.. also bring a bottle of scnet away sparay and spray the cameria where you touched it..
Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Spike

could not have said it any better rain is your best friend
Old 06-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BigBuck28

I learnd this tip form someone so now im passing it on to you.... do it right before or during a rain that will minimize the amount of disturbace you will make. And go get them in the rain.. also bring a bottle of scnet away sparay and spray the cameria where you touched it..
Absolutely, scent control is just as important when you are scouting as it is when you are hunting.

HH
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I could go pinch a loaf under my stand today and in a few weeks the deer won't even give it a second thought. I don't go anywhere near them a few weeks before the hunt but they are prepped and ready to go.
>>>>>>>>>>>>Wh ack!! PS... I would never foul my stands intentionally
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a fan of staying out of areas completely, even if taking scent precautions, but that's just me.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

I think I could go pinch a loaf under my stand today and in a few weeks the deer won't even give it a second thought. I don't go anywhere near them a few weeks before the hunt but they are prepped and ready to go.
>>>>>>>>>>>>Wh ack!! PS... I would never foul my stands intentionally
I did just that. I had an urgent "movement" on the trail to my stand one morning and the biggest buck I ever saw in the wild stepped right over it and came to me in the afternoon. I missed him BTW. I think it depends on the area. If hunting near residential areas, you can get away with more. Hunt the big woods and you better be more discreet. My opinion anyway.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

I definately agree with everyone about the rain and scent control. Also if you use digital trail cams get the largest memory card for it, the 12v battery and the solar panel so you only have to go check onceevery month to month and a half. (well depending on temp)
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

You leave too much/too often scent where I hunt the deer will change there pattern - too many choices for them in the mountains and they are real keene on any odd scents they encounter - butI do hunt where the animals have not seen roads, people, or been subjected to any human activities.

Rain and snow wash scent into the ground and are the best bet for working an area outside of the hunt. I also do hunt in bad weather and have had some real good success using mother natures cover.