HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   how are the pa turkeys doing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/189973-how-pa-turkeys-doing.html)

whelen36 04-29-2007 02:40 PM

how are the pa turkeys doing

now that the seasons here , i haven't seen any , at allthis year , any news or pics ??

fatsbucknut 04-29-2007 03:24 PM

RE: how are the pa turkeys doing

I shot one on Saturday at 11:00. 8". Tons of hunters out there. I was hunting Michaux State Forest.

absolut40 04-29-2007 04:55 PM

I hunted northern Bradford county on saturday.Had 2 gobbling good on the roost but they had hens all around them.Once they hit the ground they gobbled once and that was it the rest of the morning.Just gotta hit them on the right day.

mauser06 04-29-2007 06:05 PM

i found myself with 2 longbeards going NUTS on the roost. an honest 100 gobbles or so EACH. they never shut up. my setup was bad and they didnt like it and flew down a 50foot highwall across a creek...by the time i crossed the creek they left...

DoubleLung55 04-29-2007 09:56 PM

I just dont get the birds......i had around 10 different birds going off the roost ( including jakes) on a hillside infront of me, but as flydown came they slowly all calmed down til nothing......every once in a while one bird would gobble on the hill after about 7..... next thing u know i get a text from my dad who was at the barn which was up a hill behind me overlooking a field......he said one tom was displaying for 3 hens all over the field.... i walked through that field to get to where i was.... making a move a hen spotted me and took him away....

If anyone has ne thoughts please PM me on how to get the birds .....the one has been seen multiple times in that top field , but he never makes a peep.... ne suggestions r welcome lol...

rybohunter 04-30-2007 11:39 AM

I hope to get out tomorrow for my "opener"

Bowtech9 04-30-2007 05:12 PM

Sat. AM not many birds gobbling at all and when they hit the ground nothing. I moved around and covered a lot of ground and finally around 10:30 I had 7 gobblers come in after some hot & heavy cutting for extended periods of calling. But as they say.......what can go wrong, will go wrong! BUSTED......... They came in front behind me and never made a sound! I had worked my way to a tree line that separated 2fields (1 big open and 1 smaller with the hardwoods only 60 yards away) and as luck would have it I was watching the smaller field. When I saw them they were 45 yds away but you probably can guess the rest. Oh well it was fun anyways and it was my first year using a mouth call exclusively and I guess it worked.

Legacy357 05-01-2007 09:33 AM

I tried 3 different spots and heard nothing....in the afternoon I was out groundhog hunting and had two hens come across the field but no long beard

rybohunter 05-01-2007 10:47 AM

Birds gobbling all morning in every direction. finally coaxed a couple in and they started fighting. After the fight they came up into range, but cut to my left. Had to swing my gun up and around a few trees, made a 25 yds shot on the 2nd bird as he just started to escape. 9" beard, 21#, 1" spurs. Pics later.

BTBowhunter 05-01-2007 03:21 PM

Congrats on the birds rybo and fats!!!:D