Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters >

CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

hillbillyhunter, I sent you a PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

tried to pm you back there Doug but your inbox is full
Old 05-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry about that! I just went from 50 to 27 erasing them one at a time (I don't know how to delete all past PMs). You can send one now.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

but using decoys is cheating in my book...
I guess that gobbler didnt get that memo. Im begining to wonder if using decoys is an advantage. From what Ive seen using decoys causessome gobblers to "hang up", they can see the hen and she should come them them. Ive watched them from 80 yards away, see the decoy, puff up and strut back and forth. In fact the birds that I called in monday saw the decoys from about 70 yards, as soon as they saw them they puffed up, it took them over an hourto cover 55 yards, it was strutt, take a step, strutt take a step, heck I could have took a nap in the time it took those birds to get to where I could shoot one of them. The one really nice thing about decoys is sometimes you get one heck of a show as the gobblers prance back and forth strutting their stuff, awesome to see.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

but using decoys is cheating in my book...
I guess that gobbler didnt get that memo. Im begining to wonder if using decoys is an advantage. From what Ive seen using decoys causessome gobblers to "hang up", they can see the hen and she should come them them. Ive watched them from 80 yards away, see the decoy, puff up and strut back and forth. In fact the birds that I called in monday saw the decoys from about 70 yards, as soon as they saw them they puffed up, it took them over an hourto cover 55 yards, it was strutt, take a step, strutt take a step, heck I could have took a nap in the time it took those birds to get to where I could shoot one of them. The one really nice thing about decoys is sometimes you get one heck of a show as the gobblers prance back and forth strutting their stuff, awesome to see.
..I recall one such a bird, up on Spruce Knob.... took a good 30 minutes to cover 50 yrds..my buddy missed him @ 53 steps...he was huge... we were 3 miles back the Allegheny Trail.... hook up with a Runner the very next day... drug us nearlya mile thru those mountains before we got smart an quit following... had 1 shot, uphill, but he had us pinned in the wide open... ahh ...memories. we've always used the bare minimum in gear, giving all edge to the bird... and we've killed our share...and we've missed more than we care to claim..
Old 05-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

Oh and buck, if you don't want dekes hanging them up use a gobbler deke along with the hen, lone hens will hang them up.
..or you could use a .223 and nail him at 150 yards....dead is dead,right?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Well guys I haven't had the chance yet to get out. Everytime I think I have a chance something is just coming up to ruin it. IF...IF...at all possible I hope to make it out this Saturday. At least try and get one day in the field. You know I can't wait till I retire...and all the honey do's are done.

Congrats to all those who have scored.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

i got one monday, the first day..... my brother called one in for me bout 8 o'clock that mornin....... perty nice one 20 lb 8 in beard and 1 in spurs...... went out a few times after and didnt have any luck
Old 05-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice. Looks like an old smart bird too. Not smart enough I guess. Way to go.