Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 deer population decline 2a+2b >

deer population decline 2a+2b

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

deer population decline 2a+2b

Old 04-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer population decline 2a+2b

good numbers of rabbits &squirrels, equal to what I see on private land
grouse are spotty, someplaces a lot, some none. But again private land is like that too.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:43 PM

You may not believe me when I tell you I've lived in Pa for 5 years and never been to Waynesburg.I've heard alot about Ryerson Station and especially the fishing there.I will have to go and scout it out.Thanks Wind
Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

what state are you coming from finding bone? its nice to have an outsider say it ain;t so abd here when so many home grown fellas complain about it.
As an out of stater, these threads are interesting. When guys complain about only seeing 12-20 deer in a week, we have no sympathy. Up here in New England, on publiclands,that would be one incredible season, forget about a week. I guessguys who grew up with the over populatiuons still think they should be seeing 20-30 deer a day despite what it does to the habitat.Its hard for an outsider to understand the complaints. AndI have hunted PA before the changes.

I have a friend thatis from Warren County. He took a buck almost every year for some 25+ years on gamelands before the changes. His best was a scrub 7 point, almost all the rest where spikes/forks. Then the new regs came in. Now he shoots big 8's and 10's, and while hes not seeing carloads of doe anymore, he still seesplenty and is very happy with PA now. He said he never dreamed he would be able to shoot bucks like that in PA when he was a kid.

He also said it best "I don't need to see allot of deer, just one, the right one"

Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: findinbone

You may not believe me when I tell you I've lived in Pa for 5 years and never been to Waynesburg.I've heard alot about Ryerson Station and especially the fishing there.I will have to go and scout it out.Thanks Wind
Just wanted to let you know that the dam/lake is no longer there. They had to drain it to rebuild the dam or something. There is a nice creek that is full of carp

I'm not sure if they stocked trout in it now or not.

My father and I use to camp there in October, during archery,and hunt both PA and WV. We usually came home with a few deer back in the good ole days. We'd only stay 3 or 4 days.

After filling a tag, I use to go down to the creek flowing into the lake and catch a couple of the trout they'd stock for fall fishermen. It is a nice peacful place. I'd be the only one fishing and there'd be a big school of trout swimming around. Get my limit of three in a half hour then go back to camp. I would fry them up for dinner that evening.